About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Hamster survives giant shredder

From BBC News.

Friday, 2 June 2006

A hamster has survived almost unscathed after spending several minutes passing through an industrial shredder. The rodent is thought to have got into a skip of rubbish that was taken to Recyclo recycling plant in Flintshire. It survived a giant shredder used to destroy waste such as washing machines and was found in a sorting area with no injuries other than a sore foot. The hamster, named Mike, has been adopted by Liam Bull, 10, whose father Craig works at Recyclo. Liam said: "I can't believe he's still alive after what happened, but he's doing fine now." The hamster's ordeal, which lasted around four minutes, began when it arrived at the plant in Sandycroft, probably aboard one of the many skips of waste which arrive there daily. As well as surviving the giant shredder, Mike passed through a rotating drum and vibrating grids before he was discovered by staff.

The plant's general manager, Tony Williams, said: "We deal with 300 to 400 tonnes of dry waste a day from all over Cheshire, Flintshire and Wrexham. "Some of the material is shredded and then goes through a series of conveyor belts and grids that enable smaller pieces of waste to fall through. "It seems that the hamster was small enough to pass through the blades of the shredder, but big enough to pass along the trammel without falling through an aperture. "We don't get very much animal activity here, but we're delighted Mike survived and is now being cared for."

10 comments:

Sadie Lou said...

Now if only Hamsters could survive being a child's pet!
*frown*
Hamsters are too cute to be locked away in a stinky cage...

CyberKitten said...

I think pet rodents exist to teach children the idea of death. After all most live 3-4 years, so you're bound to get through a few during a childhood. I know I & my siblings did.

Sadie Lou said...

I had some little mice. Their water dispenser leaked into the cage. This creaed a moist environment which isn't good for the mice and they caught colds. There was something super cute about sneezing mice.
The treatment for their colds was more money than buying new mice.
So I guess rodents teach children about medical bills too.

Laura said...

" Now if only Hamsters could survive being a child's pet!" Too funny! I had hamsters when I was a kid. I also killed one of my sister's by accident when I was 6 - I dropped her.

Sadie Lou said...

Laura--
We used to put our hamsters in that crazy plastic ball and roll it down the hall.
'tsk'
So not nice.

JR said...

"Mike?" They should have named him "Lucky!" :-) Sadie, I agree with sneezing mice being too cute.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a Miracle Hamster Mike is! Great story Cyberkitten....I had not heard this one....I'm so happy for thos dear little creature!

CyberKitten said...

The story made me smile & tickled my 'funny bone'... so I couldn't help but pass it on.

It also makes a nice change from all the heavy and depressing stuff I tend to post here.. [grin].

Foilwoman said...

Hey, cats think hamsters make a nice snack, so no wonder CK is celebrating this hamsters survival (up til now).

CyberKitten said...

foilwoman: Welcome back.

As a vegetarian I couldn't possibly comment on the snack value of the average hamster.... [grin].