About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Just finished Reading – Dime Store Magic by Kelly Armstrong

This is the third in the ‘Women of the Otherworld’ series, the first two being Bitten and Stolen which concerned the exploits of the only female werewolf (long story) Elena Michaels.

Dime Store Magic concentrates on a character introduced in Stolen – the 23 year old witch Paige Winterbourne and her 13 year old ward Savannah. Witches, along with Sorcerers, are a different species in Ms Armstrong’s universe – not to be confused with human Wiccans. They have real power (unlike their human counterparts) but Paige finds herself way out of her depth when Savannah’s mysterious father tries to reclaim her in order to use her burgeoning power for his own ends.

Kelly Armstrong’s writing skills are certainly improving with each novel. Her first novel Bitten was often a little raw but her excellent central character Elena made it more than readable. Here we find again an excellent central character in Paige as well as a host of well drawn, three dimensional and most importantly believable otherworldly characters to compliment this novel. Still a little clunky in places it nevertheless moves along at a reasonable pace, is funny, sexy and disturbing in turn and is chock full of snappy dialogue. More than anything else it’s a fun read. It’s certainly light reading but not fluffy – and more than a little gruesome in places to be honest. If you’ve read and enjoyed any of the Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton then you’ll like these books too.

4 comments:

Juggling Mother said...

Sounds like a nice series - sometimes it's good to read stuff that isn't too real;-)

Thanks for the comment on my roots post - I think that perhaps my readers are not of quite the same calibre of yours sometimes which explains why I didn't get many coments!

CyberKitten said...

I do like light stuff now & again... Can't be serious all the time - my head would explode! Lots more SF/Fantasy & other stuff over the forthcoming months I assure you...

Maybe some of my readers can make their way over to your place...? Go on guys & girls visit 'Juggling Mother' why don't you.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I am comlpetely unfamiliar with this series....I'm not too big on 'OtherWorldly' writings or movies...I wish my mind did enjoy these type of things cause I see it gives so very many people so much true pleasure..I'm not sure why it isn't something I lan toward---grounded in too much reality stuff I'm afraid---and there it is! (lol)

Thanks for your visit CK....I am a historian at heart as I think many of my family are...so I have been pretty much the keeper of The Family Photo's up to a certain point, anyway---plus all the stuff in my own life apart from the family...
I love documentation of events...Hope you will come on by for the Party...as you probably know Craziequeen generously has loaned me those two lovlies--WAlt & Clara! I ope to have two other Staff as well...but of course, they won't hold a candle to W & C!

CyberKitten said...

Naomi said: I am comlpetely unfamiliar with this series....

It's pretty new... though it now contains 6 books - this is the 3rd. I picked up the first one because it was about modern day werewolves (which are an interest of mine - though not as much as vampires).

Naomi said: I'm not too big on 'OtherWorldly' writings or movies...

Me neither really. I find most of them either boring or silly... and I don't particularly like the idea of paying money for something to scare me! I do enjoy vampire films/books though - if done properly. I think that vampire tales are an interesting way to explore the morality of emortality ("longer life" as opposed to immortality - "not dying").. or maybe that's just me? [snigger]

Naomi said: Thanks for your visit CK....I am a historian at heart as I think many of my family are...

I'm more of a social historian myself. I like looking at trends and stuff. My favourite periods are those in transition. I'm a Sociologist (mostly) by training but a historian by inclination.

Naomi also said: Hope you will come on by for the Party...

I fully intend to... Not too sure about the time difference though. I might be in work or fast asleep. CQ and I will probably arrive together - which possibly explains why so many people think that we're an 'item'. See you there....