About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, June 12, 2006

My Favourite Movies: A Matter of Life and Death.

I’ve had this film on video for many years and have just replaced it with a DVD copy. Made in 1946 it starred David Niven & Kim Hunter (pictured above) as lovers who met in rather unusual circumstances.

Niven plays Squadron Leader Peter D Carter who, on his way back from a bombing mission over Germany (yup – not quite another war movie, but one with a war background), finds that he has to bail out of his stricken bomber – without a parachute. After ‘meeting’ the American radio operator – played by Hunter – and starting to fall in love with her, he jumps to his certain death. Or not. For his heavenly conductor – played by the superb Marius Goring – misses him in the fog. Niven survives the jump and falls deeper in love with Hunter causing a problem for the Authorities in heaven. So starts the trail of Peter Carter who fights for his life and his love against Heaven itself.

This is a wonderful movie on many levels. The story is sublime, the acting magnificent, the cinematography outstanding. I can hardly fault it in any way. I particularly liked the character of Conductor 71 (played by Goring) and Doctor Reeves (played by Robert Livesy). A classic in every sense directed by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger who also directed The Red Shoes (which I also own) & Black Narcissus (which I shall own shortly). If you haven’t seen this you’ve missed a real treat.

7 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I lOVE this move CK! In the US it is called "Stairway To Heaven"...I honestly don't know why they felt it had to be chsnged...This is as you said a beautuful perfect film in every way...These two gentlemen really knw how to make incredibly wonderful films...Like you, I love "The Red Shoes", too...and posted about it some time ago...(It was soon after Moira Shearer died, though I started writing about the film before she died...)
I must get this film..."Stairway" or whatever, on DVD, too...it is a keeper! Thanks for the reminder.

Baconeater said...

Kim Hunter was in one of my favorite movies too: Planet of the Apes

CyberKitten said...

Naomi said: In the US it is called "Stairway To Heaven"...I honestly don't know why they felt it had to be changed...

Odd isn't it. The US does that a lot for some reason. Maybe its just to put a US stamp on it? But as you said it's a great film as is just about anything Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger directed.

BEAJ said: Kim Hunter was in one of my favorite movies too: Planet of the Apes

The Charlton Heston one presumably? That on was pretty good - and actually had some good messages. The Tim Burton one was terrible - IMO.

CyberKitten said...

uberchap said: This could be the start of an uncomfortable precedent. This is one of my favourite films and is even listed as such on my fledgeling blog.

Yes, I had noticed. It did make me laugh! I guess that most people have at least one thing in common. But not to worry - we can easily go back to disagreeing with each other on other topics [grin].

uberchap also said: A fantastic film. Very different but just as wide ranging and warm - but maybe understandably jingoistic - is The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.

That's one film I've never managed to watch all the way through...

Baconeater said...

I never saw the Tim Burton one (well maybe 15 minutes of it. It seemed to focus on brawn not the brain). I saw the original umpteen times though. Kim Hunter was the female scientist and Dr. Zeuss was played by Samntha's father on Bewitched. Of course, Roddy McDowell was the other ape.

Sadie Lou said...

I'll add this to my que right now!

CyberKitten said...

sadie Lou said: I'll add this to my que right now!

I don't think that you'll be disapointed. Let me know what you think when you get around to seeing it.