About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

My Favourite Music: 2112 by Rush

My favourites do seem to be stuck in the 1970’s don’t they? Though first released in 1976 I probably didn’t hear this album until almost 10 years later. I was introduced to Rush by a friend in College who leant me Fly by Night to listen to on my newly acquired Sony Walkman. The rest, as they say, is history. I guess I was attracted to 2112 in particular by the long 20 minute first track which had a serious SF theme to it. I also really liked the second track A Passage to Bangkok. But what I like most about Rush is their almost orchestral feel despite being very much a 'progressive' rock band.

As far as I know the Rush sound is pretty unique and so far I own about 5-6 of their CD’s. I’m planning to own them all – it’ll stop me buying books for a while if nothing else. If you haven’t heard Rush before I can certainly recommend them and 2112 is as good a place as any to start a possible addiction.

5 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I am completely unfamiliar with this group...So much of so called Pop, Rock, etc. Music just passed me by...and I never really could get with 'the program'...The fact that you used the word "orchestral" certainly makes them intriguing....I will have to see if I can listen to any sampes at Amazon....
Thanks for your visit CK and your very lovely words, too...I dearly appreciate them more than I can say...

CyberKitten said...

Thanks Naomi. Always a pleasure.

I guess that I first really noticed music in the 70's (pubity might have something to do with it) and there was SO much of it about back then - and lots of it was actually quite good.

I remember especially browsing through the 'Progressive Rock' section in record stores. Unfortunately at the time I couldn't afford much of what I saw or listened to so I made up for it in later life when I had more money.

I do like more modern stuff too (as I shall be posting on later) but 70's music still has a special place in my heart.

Jewish Atheist said...

Lol, I saw that and read "Bush 2112" and I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Jewish Atheist said...

(Actually, I read "Bush 2012" which is more realistic... and scarier.)

dbackdad said...

Rush rules. I was decidely late into the game. A college roommate got me into them around '87. Some of my friends were in a band and Limelight was a part of their set list every night.

Saw Rush in concert in '97.

Any band that writes about LOTR is cool in my book.