About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

My favourite Places: Stonehenge

Stonehenge is a Neolithic and Bronze Age megalithic monument located near Amesbury in the English county of Wiltshire, about 8 miles (13 km) northwest of Salisbury. It is composed of earthworks surrounding a circular setting of large standing stones and is one of the most famous prehistoric sites in the world. Archaeologists think the standing stones were erected between 2500 BC and 2000 BC although the surrounding circular earth bank and ditch, which constitute the earliest phase of the monument, have been dated to about 3100 BC. The site and its surroundings were added to the UNESCO's list of World Heritage Sites in 1986 in a co-listing with Avebury henge monument, and it is also a legally protected Scheduled Ancient Monument. Stonehenge itself is owned and managed by English Heritage whilst the surrounding downland is owned by the National Trust.

[The above from Wikipedia].

I’ve visited Stonehenge 2-3 times so far and I must admit that I was initially disapointed, probably because I expected something a bit bigger. [grin] But on subsequent visits I became very impressed by the technical achievement and by the sheer majesty of the place. It’s truly awesome and the more we find out about it the more impressive it becomes. The last time I was there they had electronic ‘guides’ for hire which inform you about the history of the site which certainly adds greatly to the experience. A wonder of the age and well worth a visit if you’re in the area.

2 comments:

dbackdad said...

CK -- "I’ve visited Stonehenge 2-3 times so far and I must admit that I was initially disapointed, probably because I expected something a bit bigger." -- When you said that I had to laugh and think of This is Spinal Tap. Absolutely one of the funniest movies that I have ever seen.

I've very jealous. I would love to go to Stonehenge.

Juggling Mother said...

Stonehenge is inspiring, but the first time I went I walked away as soon as I saw the price (and the quque!). Considering you don't actually get anything for your money, and they don't spend any money on maintenance, I'm baffled as to why it costs the same as a medium sized theme park!

Anyway - now we get in for free as English Heritage members, we go much more often:-)