About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

My Favourite Movies: The Incredibles.

I am a big fan of animation so it is no surprise that I was totally delighted with this movie. To be honest though I was slightly apprehensive after being so disappointed with Finding Nemo which, I thought, was trite and boring. However, Pixar certainly hit all my buttons with their next outing.

If you haven’t seen The Incredibles (and you really don’t need kids to see movies like this – honest) its story revolves around superheroes who have been forcibly retired into the community. A particular family group headed by Mr Incredible & his wife Elastagirl become involved in a plot hatched by a super wanna-be to destroy the city. There is MUCH more going on than this brief synopsis suggests but I really don’t want to give too much away.

Apart from being technically brilliant and often laugh out loud funny this is actually a good movie in its own right. The writers obviously have a deep affection for spy movies and, from the look and feel of it, especially James Bond. It’s dramatic whilst at the same time sending up the whole spy super-baddie genre gloriously. The ‘acting’ is outstanding and the voice work a delight. Even the ‘kids’ are brilliant – and normally I really don’t like kids in movies. As the kid from across the street says, this movie is totally wicked. Watch it with your kids and give the whole family a treat.

8 comments:

craziequeen said...

Edna Mo-o-o-o-o-le....

:-D

That's a new feature, dahlink!

:-D

Yup, one of my alltime fave animated films too ...

TOTALLY WICKED!!

cq

Reel Fanatic said...

This is indeed a nearly flawless film .. if I may recommend, Incredibles director Brad Bird also made one of my favorite animated flicks, Iron Giant .. I recommend it highly

dbackdad said...

Alex and I give it a big thumbs-up.

And dittos to reel fanatic. Iron Giant is brilliant from both an entertainment and political level.

CyberKitten said...

Thanks for the Iron Giant lead guys... I'll check it out.

Has anyone watched 'Steam Boy'...?

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I liked this movie a lot, but in all honesty, (Oh don't hate me CK) I loved Finding Nemo...I think it had something to do with the colors used...GORGEOUS pastel colors that pleased my eye, especially the underwater tracking shots...

Off topic: CK, you might be interested in this blog...RAIN is writing about the politica climate in the US with this forthcoming election....She is very smart, I think and makes her points wonderfully---you moght go back and read some of the previous days posts...Anyway, take a look-see.
http://rainydaythought.blogspot.com/
and do let me know your thoughts, if you feel like it.

CyberKitten said...

Naomi said: I liked this movie a lot, but in all honesty, (Oh don't hate me CK) I loved Finding Nemo...I think it had something to do with the colors used...GORGEOUS pastel colors that pleased my eye, especially the underwater tracking shots...

Indeed. Nemo was visually stunning (personally I LOVED the seagulls) but the storyline was far too thin for my liking...

Taste is also a very personal thing... I think I loved the anrachy in The Incredibles. Nemo was a bit... twee for my liked.

Disagreeing on cartoon preferences is hardly a reason to even dislike you a little bit Naomi!

JR said...

I saw this when it originally came out in theatres. The whole family loved it! I like that the cartoon parents behaved and spoke in code much like real parents when around the kids.

CyberKitten said...

V V - The whole family dynamic was *so* well done. Apart from the superpowers thing it sounded a lot like my family!