About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

An Accident of History.

Those who know me or have been reading my Blog for a while should be aware of my long relationship with Science Fiction. I’ve been reading it since I was about 14 and that’s a very long time in Cyberkitten years. Those who know me will also be aware of my particular interest in Alternate History – a subject I have mentioned here on more that one occasion. This idea postulates that not only could things have been different but they could have been radically different. Not only are their innumerable turning points in the greater History of the world but there are also innumerable turning points in our personal Histories too.

Consider if battles that had been won or lost where instead lost or won. Consider what would have happened if Winston Churchill had been born a woman. It is unlikely that she would have become Prime Minister of England at a time of national crisis. Would the outcome of the Second World War have been different? Consider if the 300 Spartans have not marched to Thermopylae and died heroically to save Greece. Would the Western World be speaking Persian now? Consider if the rock that finished off the dinosaurs 65 million years ago had missed. Would we humans even be here discussing philosophical questions or would we be mere mammalian snacks for dinosaur descendents?

The point I’m making is that History is more fluid than we give it credit for and that this idea has an impact on all of our ideas and beliefs as well as historical events. Personally I am as passionate about my atheism as some of my Blog buddies are about their Christianity and I have already discussed how, if our personal Histories had been different, our beliefs would have been different too. But what about global beliefs, could they have been different? I certainly think so.

The content of the New Testament was decided in the 4th Century. The books within that document formed Orthodox Christianity. The many, many Gospels that also existed at that time became heretical were sought out and, where possible, destroyed. How might Christianity have changed if different Gospels had been incorporated into the Bible? What if the Council that decided such things had been Gnostics and so those Gospels had become the Orthodox teachings of the Church? What would have happened in Constantine had not converted to Christianity and it had not become the religion of the Roman Empire? Would it have remained one religious sect amongst many? Would it have died out and faded from the history books? Would we all be pagan polytheists now?

You see, I hope, what I’m getting at here? The worlds various belief systems are contingent on accidents of History. If things had turned out differently then billions of people would believe very different things than they do now. They would believe them equally passionately and would, knowing humans, be killing each other over the various interpretations of their beliefs. Or maybe not? If Christianity had died during the Roman Empire would we have had Islam? Did practitioners of pagan religions kill each other over their beliefs? Did they wage war on each other claiming that their God(s) superior to that of their enemies? I don’t know but its not ringing any bells.

All of our beliefs are based on Historical Accidents both personal and global. They could very easily have been very different. The passion that we feel for them could quite easily have been a passion for something quite different. Those of us who are certain of our views on such things should ponder this. We are what we are thanks to the fluidity of Time itself. There is no firm ground beneath our feet.

9 comments:

dbackdad said...

"There is no firm ground beneath our feet" -- That's the beauty of it. I love flying by the seat of my pants. Life shouldn't be predictable or pre-ordained.

Great post.

Ken Comer said...

Keeping it very short because my longer post got eaten by the grue. Are you really an atheist as defined by the dictionaries at dictionary.com? I am conducting what might be called an "agnosticism awareness campaign" because of the bad rep we get from non-deists who mistakenly claim to be atheists, but who are--by all non-atheist dictionaries--actually agnostics.

CyberKitten said...

KC asked: Are you really an atheist as defined by the dictionaries at dictionary.com?

This being the definition: a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Yes. I disbelieve in the existence of God. I am not saying that He does not exist because I don't know for sure. But I can say with confidence that there is nowhere enough evidence to support a belief in His existence - therefore I do not believe.

AFAIK an Agnostic is someone who believes that the question cannot be answered and therefore holds off on making a belief decision. I am not (at least by my own lights) an Agnostic.

Sadie Lou said...

I enjoy your posts so much more when you don't have some article to read first. I just like hearing you speak about something vs. you commenting on an article. I think I've told you this before?
Anyhoo,
Your accidental theory is a cool thing to wonder about but for me--i don't believe in accidents, really. I believe that everything that has happened, that shape our lives, was supposed to happen. For a reason.

CyberKitten said...

Sadie Lou said: I enjoy your posts so much more when you don't have some article to read first. I just like hearing you speak about something vs. you commenting on an article. I think I've told you this before?

Thanks. Indeed you have. It takes a few weeks for me to chew on an idea before I put finger to keyboard... so my original stuff doesn't show up that often (plus I'm adicted to a new game right now) - but I'm generally pleased with what I produce. I've had a lot of practice writing what I hope are cogent arguments.

Sadie said: Your accidental theory is a cool thing to wonder about but for me--i don't believe in accidents, really. I believe that everything that has happened, that shape our lives, was supposed to happen. For a reason.

I think that there's a lot more chance & randomness in the world than you give it credit for. But humans are very good at seeing patterns where none exist.

Michael K. Althouse said...

I spend a considerable amount of time pondering this question as well. Indeed, quantum mechanics holds that it is possible - even likely - that every possible turn of history does exist in parallel with the one we know. I'm not a physicist, but I am intrigued by their work and the theoretical possibilities regarding time and space; the very large and very small; forces and forms of energy; matter and so much more that is understandable, but not yet understood.

I agree with Sadie, I like it when you add your take on it all.

Mike

Sadie Lou said...

Hi Mike! How's it going?

JR said...

I'm intrigued by the alternate history idea. I've wondered about it myself, not just world history, but personal history. If I were born at another time, place, in another family, who would I be, what would I believe, that sort of thing. There are so many elements that go into creating an historic event that it's easy to believe that things could have turned out differently. I read a book series by Diana Gabaldon in which the main character in her book tries repeatedly to foil a particular historic Scottish event and is never able to alter history. Someone or something else keeps stepping in to continue the path the way it was meant to be.

CyberKitten said...

There seems to be two 'schools' of thought on the rigidity of history V V.

One side says that History cannot be changed (as your example pointed out)because something would always either prevent the change or correct it.

The other view is that the flow of History is so delicate that the death of a single butterfly could change the entire flow of woorld events. Obviously changing something major would (inevitably I believe) have major consequences but you could imagine many minor changes that would, in effect, even out and not change the 'Grand Scheme' of things.

It's always an interesting subject to speculate about... What would have happened If...?