About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Just Finished Reading: Ancient Philosophy – A Very Short Introduction by Julia Annas

Starting with the tale of Medea who killed her children to spite her husband – the hero Jason – Professor Annas undertakes a brilliant (though short) exploration of the major ideas in Ancient Philosophy. Not only did she manage to change my mind regarding Plato, whom I’ve always had a hard time with, in the section ‘Why do we still read Plato’s Republic?’ but she also managed to turn me on to the Greek idea of virtue and how being a virtuous person can lead to a happy life. This is an idea which I will pursue further. The only section I struggled with (a little) was one on Logic, an idea that I don’t really ‘get’ at a deep enough level. Maybe it explains why I never really ‘got’ mathematics at school?

Anyway, this was my third VSI book and I continue to be impressed by the sheer quality of the work being produced. This book in particular was very well written being at the same time chatty and profound. It most certainly had an impact on me and fuelled my desire to know much more about the subject. If you have an interest in Ancient Philosophy or just want to expand your knowledge in the new direction I highly recommend this book.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I find the Greek concept of virtue to be hopelessly classist and archaic, invented by people who never had to get up and work for a living. What about it appeals to you about it?

dbackdad said...

Though I like Nietzsche a lot, I'm more inclined to agree with the Greek take on virtue. There is something to be said for being habitually (or at least trying to be) virtuous.

CyberKitten said...

Chris, thanks for you question.

I found the idea of virtue ethics interesting enough to read up on it some more because of the way it was explained by Julia Annas.

I found the wholistic approach intriguing. The idea that its not sufficient to be kind, or charitable or brave but that a virtuous person should be prepared to do the morally right thing systematically and not just ocassionally - and that this arises out of a firm understanding of morality and the willingness to act upon it. I liked the idea that becoming virtuous is being a person with a certain kind of character that requires thoughtful reflection on the whole of a persons life and the kind of person they aspire to be. I also liked the idea that its not a matter of having individual virtues but to have an understanding of what grounds all the virtues. I liked the idea that in a virtuous person emotions and feelings do not fight against reason. A person who successfully battles his emotions is not virtuous - just self controlled. In a virtuous person reason and emotion are in harmony. It's a very tall order and a lifetimes quest but for all of the above reasons I thought that it definitely warrented further investigation.

dbackdad - I've read a little *about* Nietzsche but, as yet, know very little about his philosophy. That will be changing over the next two years no doubt! Reading philosophy is still pretty much new to me - rather surprisingly I've only really been dipping into it over the last year or so. But I think I'm hooked! I am a lover of ideas and I've found a whole new world to explore. I believe I'm going to have fun....

dbackdad said...

"... idea that in a virtuous person emotions and feelings do not fight against reason. A person who successfully battles his emotions is not virtuous - just self controlled. In a virtuous person reason and emotion are in harmony. It's a very tall order and a lifetimes quest ..." -- beautifully put. I've always liked the idea that life is not necessarily about being perfect or claiming to be but rather constantly striving to be a better person. You'll never be that perfect person, but it's the journey that matters.

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: beautifully put. I've always liked the idea that life is not necessarily about being perfect or claiming to be but rather constantly striving to be a better person. You'll never be that perfect person, but it's the journey that matters.

Thanks. I was basically paraphrasing the entry from this book. It's true what you say though. Perfection is an impossible goal but we can move someway towards it on the journey through our lives.