About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Religion causes harm, says poll

By Richard Brooks for The Sunday Times

September 2, 2007

NEARLY half the British think that religion is harmful, according to a poll carried out by YouGov. Yet more than half also believe in God “or something”. The YouGov poll commissioned by John Humphrys, the broadcaster and writer, found that 42% of the 2,200 people taking part considered religion had a harmful effect.

“One reason might be the publicity attracted by a handful of mad mullahs and their hate-filled rhetoric,” writes Humphrys in his new book, In God We Doubt, an extract of which appears in today’s Sunday Times News Review. Only 16% of those polled called themselves atheists; 28% believed in God; 26% believed in “something” but were not sure what; and 9% regarded themselves as agnostics - like Humphrys himself, who had a religious upbringing in Wales but calls himself a “doubter”.

He writes: “Even though the dominant faith - by a massive margin – is Christianity, only 17% thought the influence of religion was beneficial. That is even fewer than those who claim that they believe in a personal God. And yet when we asked which of the main religions was ‘most effective’ in getting its message across, most thought it was Christianity. Only 10% cited Islam compared with 32% who said Christianity.” In the survey 43% said they never prayed, 31% hardly prayed, and 10% prayed every night. “More than half of those who say they believe in a personal God cannot be bothered to pray to him every night,” writes Humphrys.

[As with most of these polls what this one shows is that we’re confused by what we believe in. I know some people who believe in God – though their ideas of what God represents differ, I know some people who are dismissive of the whole idea and I know others who have a vague feeling that there “must be something else”. But I actually don’t think that religion crosses most people’s minds most of the time (at least in the UK). People might think about things at the usual big events in their lives – births, marriages and deaths – but beyond that? To most people on this side of the pond at least, religion is something they see enacted out in other countries for both good and evil – though usually for evil. I don’t honestly think its going to fade away anytime soon but I do hope (though I don’t pray) that it does happen sooner rather then later. The world, I think, will be a better place without it.]

7 comments:

Karlo said...

I'm glad to hear that so many people believe that "something" is the case. What would the logical form of this statement look like?

If A (the state of affairs in the world) then x (in which case x can be anything).

(:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I so agree with you CK.....Though I know quite a few people who have a strong faith---that is to say, they are "practicing" whatevers---Jews, Christians, etc...But most people I know, and they are all originally of varying faiths, do not seem to practice any kind of organized religion. Mzny of them believe there is 'something'...a 'Higher Power', which could be the ocean or just grass growing in between slabs of cement, or something that they cannot define or choose not to define...But they don't pray to these things....! And truthfully, most of the people I know who do not practice any kind of anything are GOOD Decent, Caring and Wonderful people!

I have noticed that there are quite a few people in the blog circles I seem to be in that are quite religious; and they are people who belong to a Church or Synagoge and take their religuon very seriously, including God, and in the case of Christianity, including Jesus Christ. (If I understand all that I have heard about Jesus Christ, he was a really good man, with human and humane beliefs. I have always found that it is "people" who screw religion up.

I didn't realize CK that the UK is not a basically religion oriented place...I find that most interesting and hopeful, too! (lol)

dbackdad said...

CK said, "... But I actually don’t think that religion crosses most people’s minds most of the time" - I don't doubt that is the case over there. But what may be suprising is that I also believe it is the case over here. I think a lot of people like to think that their faith informs their daily actions, but it really doesn't. They think about God on Sundays or when they get the latest e-mail action alert from Focus on the Family. Even these so-called pious politicians don't really think about God all the time. But they believe that it plays well in the heartland to talk like they do. It's the worst kind of religiousity - God played for ratings and votes.

BTW - and not completely unrelated - I finally bought and started reading His Dark Materials. I wanted to get The Golden Compass read before seeing the movie. Very impressed so far.

Karlo said...

It's funny. With all the hullaboo about it being anti-religious, I've become interested in seeing the movie. It's funny how these smear campaigns backfire.

CyberKitten said...

Naomi said: I didn't realize CK that the UK is not a basically religion oriented place...I find that most interesting and hopeful, too! (lol)

Apparently the UK is one of the most Secular countries in the world - or at least the West. Most of Northern Europe is *very* secular. Maybe it's because Christianity never really 'took' there? I think there's a PhD thesis in that idea somewhere..... [muses]

dbackdad said: I think a lot of people like to think that their faith informs their daily actions, but it really doesn't.

If religion (of most flavours) truely informed people's lives - as it is advertised at least - the world would be a *lot* better place don't you think [chuckle].

dbackdad said: I finally bought and started reading His Dark Materials. I wanted to get The Golden Compass read before seeing the movie. Very impressed so far.

LOVED 'Northern Lights' as it's known over here [grin]. So much so that I've read the Trilogy twice so far (which is fairly unusual for me). Looking forward - with some trepidation - to the movie. I was delighted though when they picked Kidman to play Mrs Coulter. She's *exactly* who I thought should play her. Apparently Pullman wrote the character with her in mind. His Dark Materials are three of the best books I've read.

Karlo said: It's funny. With all the hullaboo about it being anti-religious, I've become interested in seeing the movie. It's funny how these smear campaigns backfire.

Ain't it the case... [grin]. I'd strongly recommend you check out the books. The movie will inevitably leave a lot out.

Oh, and I think the movie is already being criticised for being anti-Catholic rather than anti-religion per se.

dbackdad said...

I don't get it when they change the name of a book for no apparent reason. Didn't they do that on the first Harry Potter book also? There's nothing wrong with 'Northern Lights' as a title. They should have left it as that.

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: I don't get it when they change the name of a book for no apparent reason.

Nor me - though they do it a *lot*.

dbackdad said: Didn't they do that on the first Harry Potter book also?

Indeed. Original title: HP and the Philosophers Stone. New title: HP and the Sorcerer's stone (or some such). I can only guess that the US publishers didn't think that they'd get the reference to the Philosopher's Stone?

dbackdad said: There's nothing wrong with 'Northern Lights' as a title. They should have left it as that.

That name change I *really* can't understand....