About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Just Finished Reading: Hume – A Very Short Introduction by A J Ayer.

It is said that David Hume would have been one of England’s greatest philosophers if only he hadn’t been Scottish. That said he was a very important Enlightenment philosopher indeed. Known more during his life as a great historian, Hume was an arch sceptic and some say atheist – though apparently he denied the latter. This short book concentrates on his ideas regarding the philosophy of mind, cause & effect and lastly a short chapter on his thoughts on morality, politics and religion.

This was by no means an easy read (or at least I did not find it easy) being both rather dry and academic. Professor Ayer might have been a towering intellect in Anglo-American philosophic circles but I found his writing style very off-putting. But I persevered and struggled through this short volume. I’ve actually read some of Hume himself and thought he wrote beautifully – unlike Ayer – so have not been put off returning to Hume at a later date – unlike Ayer who I will be avoiding from now on. Hume came up with some interesting ideas (not all of which I agree with) and it will be fruitful I feel to follow them up in his own words. This work however would not have recommended Hume to me and I cannot therefore recommend it to anyone coming to Hume for the first time. Maybe a book for the more seasoned philosophical reader rather than an introduction – short or otherwise.

7 comments:

Thomas Fummo said...

What a coincidence! We've only just finished studying Hume at school!
I like his philosophy. It's kinda funny but thought out.
He was most definitely a sceptic... but I think he was an atheist too. At least, we read that he said that there is no proof for the existence of god, so why believe in him?
He's infinitely preferale to that berk, Berkley. ;-)

CyberKitten said...

I studied Hume for the first time last year as part of the first unit in the degree I'm doing. He was interesting enough for me to do some follow up reading. Hopefully I'll find a more enjoyable book than this one.

Of course I have two books by the man himself that I could be getting on with... [grin] So much to read... so little time.

Thomas Fummo said...

I'm still reading the God delusion.
that book is pure awesomness.

CyberKitten said...

Dr S said: I'm still reading the God delusion.
that book is pure awesomness.

Actually I found it a bit bland and boring. [grin] But I guess that Richard was 'singing to the choir' on my account. His Evolution books are *much* better and, I think, harder hitting in regards to some people's views on religion. I actually think that Dawkins (and a few others) has actually innoculated me against God for good.

Thomas Fummo said...

well then their job is done!
I could say the same thing, seeing as i already decided I wasn atheist before buying the GD... but I just like reading about how stupid religion is...
does that make me mean? ;-)
Seeing as you speak so highly of them I'll try and get hold of his evolution books as well (have you read the blind watchmaker? that's his most famous one isn't it?)

Thomas Fummo said...

correction: was AN atheist.
sorry. darn fingers.

CyberKitten said...

Dr S asked: have you read the blind watchmaker? that's his most famous one isn't it?

I had to really struggle to remember that.. but yes I have. It was pretty good but I didn't find it particularly mind-blowing. I did read The Selfish Gene many years ago which made me a confirmed Darwinian. I've got a few more of his to read - and some Stephen J Gould too - but am concentrating on other areas of interest ATM. I'm actually interested in *far* too much to stay settled on one subject for very long.