About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Top 10 Records

I’ve just been listening to one of my favourite and (probably) one of the best albums ever recorded. So it got me thinking – why don’t I do a Top 10 Favourite Records post? Of course I just couldn’t keep it down to 10 but at least I kept it below 100.

So, here are my Favourite Albums – in no particular order:

Dark Side of the Moon – Pink Floyd

War – U2

Snowflakes are Dancing – Tomita

Jagged Little Pill – Alanis Morissette

Sheryl Crow – Sheryl Crow

Gorillaz – Gorillaz

Debut – Bjork

Hounds of Love – Kate Bush

Tidal – Fiona Apple

Holywood – Mariln Manson

Grace under Pressure – Rush

Word gets Around – Stereophonics

Release – Afro Celt Sound System

August & Everything After – Counting Crows

Without You I’m Nothing – Placebo

Play – Moby

Beautiful Freak – Eels

Construction Time Again – Depeche Mode

Under my Skin – Avril Lavigne

Silver Side Up – Nickelback

Becoming X – Sneaker Pimps

Something Like Human – Fuel

Zerospace – Kidney Thieves

Republica – Republica

Argus – Wishbone Ash

Infest – Papa Roach

MTV Unplugged – 10,000 Maniacs

Eyes Open – Snow Patrol

Fallen – Evanescence

Gran Turismo – The Cardigans

Eye to the Telescope – K T Tunstall

Nevermind – Nirvana

The Battle of Los Angeles – Rage Against the Machine

Come Clean – Puddle of Mudd

Ricks RoadTexas.

6 comments:

Sadie Lou said...

Nice list.
Not the list I would have compiled--but nice none the less.
My list would have Beck-Midnite Vultures
Black Crowes- Shake Your Money Maker
Van Morrison- The Best Of
Sarah Mclaughlin- Mirrorball
Elton John-Best Of
anyhoodles...
Thanks for the Birthday Wishes!
~Sades

wstachour said...

I can manage movies, but music is a harder task:

Duruflé: Organ Works--Todd Wilson

Duruflé: Requiem, Cum jubilo Mass, Motets--St. Jacob's Chamber Choir / Graden

Ravel: Piano Works--Louis Lortie

Alison Krauss & Union Station: Live in Louisville

Fretwork: Alio Modo

Donald Fagen: Morph the Cat

Bach: Morimur--Hilliard Ensemble (chorales only)

Bach: Complete Organ Works--Hans Fagius

Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier--Andras Schiff

Vaughan Williams: Over Hill, Over Dale--Holst Singers / Layton

Mahler: Symphony No. 3--Los Angeles / Salonen

Lassus: Missa pro defuctis--Pro Cantione Antiqua

Rachmaninov: Piano Preludes (Op. 23 & 32)--Ashkenazy

When I start to poke around I find a bunch of stuff I'd add; I must stop before I get sucked too far in!

CyberKitten said...

Sadie said: Nice list. Not the list I would have compiled--but nice none the less.

Thanks. It came to me quite suddenly. I went through my CD collection & picked out the albums that I listen to a *lot*.

Sadie said: Thanks for the Birthday Wishes!

No probs. I pop into your Blog on a regular basis to check how you're doing. Hope everything is fine with you & your family.

wunelle said: I can manage movies, but music is a harder task.

Indeed. I posted the CD's that get played a lot in my house - whilst staying away from the compilations & best of's (to say nothing about all the Soundtrack CD's I have).

I also didn't add any of my Classical CD's. I too am a big fan of Bach & especially Rachmaninov. Maybe I'll do a Classical CD list soon.... [muses]

mark's tails said...

Far be it from me to criticize a music lover with such eclectic taste (although I guess I am) but Republica? Sure 'ready to go' was played at many sporting arena's and that is the reason I bought the CD myself, but all the other songs sound the same.

CK, just giving you a hard time in jest.

Seriously though, very nice choices and, as mentioned, eclectic list. Glad to see Rush on your list.

dbackdad said...

"... what really matters is what you like, not what you are like..." -- lol. As always, I love any reference to High Fidelity.

Nice list. I've got a few of them (Pink Floyd, U2, Moby, Rush, Nirvana, RATM). I've done a list before (Top 10 albums. I don't think my list has changed since then though I've been impressed by a few of my newer acquisitions - Vince Gill's 4 CD release, the new Foo Fighters, the Plant-Krauss collaboration.

CyberKitten said...

Mark said: Far be it from me to criticize a music lover with such eclectic taste (although I guess I am) but Republica? Sure 'ready to go' was played at many sporting arena's and that is the reason I bought the CD myself, but all the other songs sound the same.

Largely yes - but quite a few albums are pretty samey... I listened to it again yesterday & found it still very good - especially track 5 'Picture Me' which I think is the best thing on it.

Mark said: Glad to see Rush on your list.

Picking one Rush album was difficult and I didn't want to go with the obvious 2112.

dbackdad said: As always, I love any reference to High Fidelity.

Had to be done. I really liked the film and the book isn't bad either.