About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Thinking About: The Meaning of Life

Those of you who have been reading this Blog for a while now will be aware that, as far as I know, there is no greater meaning to our lives over and above the one(s) we give it. In effect I’m saying that certainly from the Christian point of view that I hold life to be essentially meaningless. The trick, if I want to use such a word in this context, is what we should do about it. How should we respond to life’s inherent lack of meaning?

As I’ve mentioned in other posts you could always invent a meaning or adopt someone else’s. That’s what most people do. Most people adopt the meaning prevalent in the culture they accidently happen to have been born into – normally called religion. Others discover (or invent) their own meaning like climbing mountains or being the best kazoo player in the world. Some of these people go on to achieve amazing things.

But what if you really believe that life is without meaning? Then what? The danger of this belief is that it’s entirely possible to fall into total despair and basically give up – sometimes followed by suicide. It’s certainly a valid answer to the problem and a permanent one. Alternatively you could 'live' feeling dead inside and responding to life with neither pleasure nor pain, though this sounds rather dull. The classic way to respond to a meaningless life is the well worn track of hedonism – living for pleasure. I’ve known a few wannabe hedonists in my time who expended lots of energy on finding the next high or sleeping with the next girl. Funnily none of them seemed very happy for very long. This was, I believe, because they made the fundamental error of equating pleasure with happiness. Some of them never learnt that they are not the same thing. The problem with all external pleasures is that they’re dependent on other people or other things over which you have little or no control. Being dependent on these things – especially when you crave them – is a recipe for unhappiness rather than the reverse.

I did come across an interesting solution recently which appeared to offer a way of life for those who fail to see any meaning in existence. A response to the challenge of nihilism designed for people who accept the fact that life can be, by its very nature, deeply absurd. That response is heroism. By that I don’t mean going around rushing into burning buildings saving kittens or throwing yourself on grenades in Afghanistan to save the lives of your team mates. I mean recognising that life is indeed meaningless on any level and still living it to the best of your ability – with a real and sincere smile on your face. To laugh in the face of adversity and death knowing in your bones that it doesn’t matter what you do but you continue to do it anyway and to see the absurd in everything around you and respond with humour because that is the only rational response to such an impossibly ridiculous situation. I obviously need to think and read more on the subject but I think I’ve found a trail worth investigating. I will of course let you know what I find on my travels. If you see someone whistling through adversity with a grin on their face it’ll probably be me – so say hello.

12 comments:

Thomas Fummo said...

"To laugh in the face of adversity and death knowing in your bones that it doesn’t matter what you do but you continue to do it anyway and to see the absurd in everything around you and respond with humour because that is the only rational response to such an impossibly ridiculous situation"

A whoo hoo hoo hee he he hee hahahaha ha ha!!
-Joseph Kerr

I'm kidding.
I totally agree with you, sir.
Hello! :-)
and kudos for not mentioning the number.
You know the one I mean.

dbackdad said...

To the sound of whistling:

" ... For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word
You must always face the curtain with a bow.
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

So always look on the bright side of death
Just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of shit
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughing as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you ..."


Cool post.

Ali P said...

We're born, we live a bit, then we die. The End.

Might as well enjoy the ride though!

VV said...

I've never heard of "heroism." Did you come up with the concept or did you read it somewhere. I find it a happy solution to what could have been a miserable existence. Also, how would you define happiness as opposed to pleasure? I know external pleasures can bring you happiness, but the definitions seem to overlap a bit in my head, so I'd just like another perspective on it. One can contain the other, but does the other contain the first?

CyberKitten said...

TF said: I'm kidding.
I totally agree with you, sir.
Hello! :-)
and kudos for not mentioning the number.
You know the one I mean.

Been there... Done that... [laughs]

dbackdad said: Cool post.

Thanks. Much like me its a work in progress. It's also going to be pretty much the subject of my dissertaion over the Summer - so I'm hoping for some interesting insights!

Ali P said: We're born, we live a bit, then we die. The End.

Yup.

Ali P said: Might as well enjoy the ride though!

Most definitely.

V V said: I've never heard of "heroism." Did you come up with the concept or did you read it somewhere.

It just basically means being a hero in your own life - to triumph over adversity and go down fighting. I've always been a fan of the ancient Greek and Norse Heroes who, though they *knew* they where doomed they still went ahead with their endeavours. That's why I find certain aspects of Stoicism so attractive (of which more later). The book that piqued my interest lately was:

Friedrich Nietzsche and the Politics of the Soul: A Study of Heroic Individualism by Leslie Paul Thiele.

I skim-read about half of it recently for an essay I was working on. It wasn't greatly useful for that but made an impression on me and will be very useful I felt for my dissertaion.

V V said: Also, how would you define happiness as opposed to pleasure?

Pleasure to me is fleeting and of the moment. By its very nature it is ephemeral and part of its charm is that it doesn't last. Pleasure should certainly be *part* of a happy life but I don't think it can *make* a life happy - though it could make one happier.

Happiness is more permanant. I actually found myself a few years back grinning to myself for no particular reason. I realised - somewhat surprisingly - that I was very happy despite not having some things I desired a great deal. The feeling actually lasted for about 8 months. I didn't analyse it *too* closely but was quite astonished at how I felt and how long it lasted. I actually had to restrain myself at times from busting out laughing. I normally only feel that good when I'm in love with someone. It was rather weird.

Happiness I think is less of an attribute - although somethings can make you happy in a sense - and more of an attitude to life. Happiness is a personal stance in regard to the universe - almost as if the two have come to some kind of accommodation. Its rather difficult to desrcibe.... [muses]. Happiness, above all else is, I suppose, a point of view or even a 'place to stand' if you catch my drift. I certainly think that the ancients - particularly the Greeks - had a much better understanding of it than we do.

VV said...

Thanks for your definitions. It gives me something to ponder as I figure out what pleasures and happiness mean to me.

I haven't read anything on stoicism that I'm aware of, could you recommend anything? It sounds kinda like the way I live my life. People often refer to me as stoic and I generally have a good outlook on life, sometimes a sarcastic outlook, but positive in general and I've lived through various hells and come out the other side relatively unscathed in that I don't run from things, people, situations that have harmed me in the past. I'm a firm believer in getting back on the horse after you've been thrown, suck it up, others have it so much worse and self-pity or giving up isn't going to make anything better. So I just keep plowing on through life. Oh, I get my down, confused, angry moments, but they never last very long.

Karla said...

A meaningless life simply doesn't add up to me. I wonder at how stark the differences are between our worldviews. Everyone is looking for meaning. Everyone desires it. It seems even you. You are looking for meaning without meaning--a reason to live a meaningless life. Truly it sounds like you are looking for meaning. Why would we have a desire for something that cannot be fulfilled? How does such an unfulfilled desire promote the well being of humanity? It's like having hunger with no food available and having to learn to cope with an fulfilled hunger without dieing from starvation. If there is no meaning how are we aware of it's lack?

CyberKitten said...

karla said: I wonder at how stark the differences are between our worldviews.

Vast, I imagine.......

karla said: Everyone is looking for meaning. Everyone desires it.

Really. I'm not sure about that.

karla said: You are looking for meaning without meaning--a reason to live a meaningless life.

That sounds almost Zen like [laughs] I don't need to live a meaningless life - just recognise that life has no meaning and live in that knowledge.

karla said: Why would we have a desire for something that cannot be fulfilled?

Because we're human and we do that sort of thing?

karla said: If there is no meaning how are we aware of it's lack?

Quite possibly because *other people* think that there is (or should be) a meaning... and I can see that there isn't. Maybe I just see a little clearer than other people.... For everything there is a first time after all...... [grin]

CyberKitten said...

v v said: I haven't read anything on stoicism that I'm aware of, could you recommend anything?

try 'On the Shortness of Life' by Seneca. It's a Penguin Great Ideas book. I think you'll like it.

Stephen said...

CyberKitten:

I like your definition of heroism. Are you familar with the poem "Invictus"? It's by William Ernest Henley, I think.
===============

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.

CyberKitten said...

sc said: I like your definition of heroism.

Thanks.

sc said: Are you familar with the poem "Invictus"?

I am indeed. Thanks for the reminder. It's great isn't it?

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

In my not so humble opinion, we all choose what gives life meaning to us, sometimes it's something we discover on our ow, sometimes it's something discovered or invented by others.

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion." -- Abraham Lincoln