About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, February 09, 2009

Review: Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne

From New Scientist by Rowan Hooper

05 January 2009

The first "why" that struck me on seeing Why Evolution is True was why do we need yet another book on evolution? There are lots of good ones out there already and nothing less than a mountain of evidence to support the reality of evolution by natural selection.

But we do need another, insists Jerry Coyne, a professor of evolutionary genetics at the University of Chicago, because creationism is spreading. And he's right - creationism is all over the place, not just in the US, where it often gains huge amounts of publicity. In December, a UK poll found that 29% of science teachers thought that creationism should be taught in science classes alongside evolution; a state of affairs that Richard Dawkins called "a national disgrace". It is also on the rise in Islamic countries. Creationism, Coyne tells us in this wide-ranging, beautifully written account, is like a roly-poly clown that pops back up when you punch it. But he resists the temptation to punch. He seeks to persuade, by carefully leading the reader through the overwhelming evidence, that evolution is a fact. The audience is those who are uncertain about explanations of life's diversity. The book is not aimed at people who hold faith-based positions - Coyne considers them to be lost causes - but you have to wonder how many people who are "uncertain" will be won over.

Coyne describes, for example, giving a talk on evolution versus intelligent design/creationism to a group of rich Chicago businessmen. You would think that people in the business world might think that evidence for something is worth taking into account, but this was the response Coyne got from one audience member after his lecture: "I found your evidence for evolution very convincing - but I still don't believe it". It is unfortunate that there are large numbers of people for whom no amount of evidence and elegant argument will do. For those of us comfortable with the fact of evolution, even those already familiar with many of the arguments and the examples demonstrating evolution, there is much in his book that is new and stimulating, even refreshing.

I loved reading of how Raymond Dart was literally handed the greatest fossil find of the twentieth century - the "missing link" between apes and modern man - while dressing for a wedding. Other highlights include a section on the remnant signs of evolution, such as the vestigial tail at the end of our spines, and a fascinating account of how evolution and even speciation can be seen occurring before our very eyes in the lab. Coyne ends by asking where evolution leaves us, and shows that it ennobles us, that human civilisation has improved despite our animal nature. That's why, when creationism is spreading to the extent that there is even a creationist church in the main town in the Galapagos, of all places, that we need another book on evolution. This is a marvellous one.

[It certainly sounds marvellous. So much so that I bought it in hardback 3 days before Amazon said it was going to be published. I shall be reading it during the Summer & will post my review then.]

8 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I added it to my Amazon wish list.

dbackdad said...

Sounds good. Let me know how it is.

CyberKitten said...

mike said: I added it to my Amazon wish list.

I hope you enjoy it.

dbackdad said: Sounds good. Let me know how it is.

I will indeed. I should be reading a few Evolutionary books this year. I seem to be accumulating them ATM.

Karla said...

Have you ever read any books on Intelligent Design by someone who is writing in support of it?

CyberKitten said...

karla said: Have you ever read any books on Intelligent Design by someone who is writing in support of it?

No. I've read bits of webpages on the subject. They were actually rather amusing - for a while. I've read bits by the famous ID proponents. They were pretty funny too - especially when they try and hide their Creationist credentials.

Basically I find IDers fall into two categories - either they simply attack Darwinism often without understanding it or they propose that the hand of God has 'guided' evolutionary processes without offering more than fantastic 'evidence' to support it. It is, in my opinion, total nonesense.

Stephen said...

Sounds interesting. Will you be reading Richard Dawkin's evolution book that is scheduled to be released on the date that Origin of Species was first released?

CyberKitten said...

SC said: Will you be reading Richard Dawkin's evolution book that is scheduled to be released on the date that Origin of Species was first released?

I hadn't actually heard about this. Is it a new book or a re-print? I've read 3 of his biology books (I think) and enjoyed all of them. 'The Selfish Gene' actually confirmed me as a Darwinian. I wasn't particlarly impressed by 'The God Delusion' though....

Stephen said...

It will be a new book -- "The Greatest Show on Earth: Evidence for Evolution". I've read....River Out of Eden, Selfish Gene, and Climbing Mt. Improbable. I've also started Ancestors' Tale and Blind Watchmaker, but haven't gotten around to finishing them.