About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, June 01, 2009

Thinking About: Toddlers and Puppies

On the bus on the way home last night I watched with interest as a young mother struggled to keep the toddler in her arms under some kind of control. He wasn’t being annoying or loud or anything bad he was just looking around the bus in open mouthed amazement at the world. I really couldn’t help smiling. He was just so full of life it was a delight to watch. It’s a bit like my attitude towards puppies – they are quite literally ‘life on a leash’. Toddlers look at the world with a real sense of wonder because everything is a new experience for them. As adults many of us have lost that ability to watch a butterfly flutter by with open mouthed joy, to feel wonder at a plant many consider a weed growing between the cracks in a wall, to be entranced as a plastic bag dances in the wind. These are every day sights that most people either ignore completely or dismiss as irrelevant. But if we see, at least for a moment here and there, the world through a toddler’s eye I think that our lives would be greatly enhanced. Toddlers not only have begun to realise that they are alive but revel in each moment as impression after impression flood into their sponge like minds. They drink in life in huge laughing mouthfuls. I am envious of their gusto and try, as much as I can, to sprinkle a bit of that into my day to day existence. It’s not easy. Life is busy and full of problems. It’s difficult to even notice things going on around you most of the time. We have things on our minds that toddlers can’t even conceive of so it’s not surprising that we don’t see the little things that we’ve seen a thousand times before. We adults are jaded creatures often blissfully unaware at just how amazing it is to be alive. I recommend the next time you’re out in public to check out the way toddlers react to things we just take for granted. Stop being so blasé about day to day wonders and at least stop from time to time to watch life go by with wonder in your eyes and delight in your hearts.

11 comments:

Ali P said...

Homo!

CyberKitten said...

[laughs]

sirkolgate said...

You just pointed out something that I've kinda been roominating on for a while. My wife and I got a puppy last year and we've had a few new 'additions' to the family in a nephew and a great niece.

You're right... we don't experience near half the pure joy they do and yet we have so many 'things' that are supposed to provide us with joy. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to go back to a time when we'd have to break our backs just to survive, but look forward to a quiet chair by the fire.

I've also noticed that unlike most adults both puppies and babies are pure in everything they do. Some folks think that puppies are annoying when they beg for attention and that babies 'cry too much', but honestly neither wants for much, simple things like food, companionship, and comfort so what does it matter that they beg for it?

One last thing... puppies and babies love unconditionally. They don't care who you are, what you look like, what kinda of car you drive, how clever of a writer you are... etc. They just are happy you're around.

Honestly... just speaking for dogs... I've never had a person... family, friend or lover who showed such enormous joy to see me each and every day I get home without fail. He's never been too tired, too sad, too frustrated or angry with his day to not give me 100% of his little furry soul.

Good post CK... I really appreciated that POV today.

Sadie Lou said...

Hard on the outside; ooey gooey in the middle eh CyberKitten?
((hugs))
Good post.

VV said...

I'm like a magnet to babies and PUPPIES!!!!! But don't get me started on PUPPIES!!!!! You just know where that will lead. The other day I was playing across the distance with a toddler in his mom's arms at the movies. We made googley eyes and faces at each other and I noticed his bare feet. I LOVE baby feet, they remind me so much of puppy feet. Also, I've noticed new babies and new puppies have a similar underlying scent. Is it new life? I don't know, but I can smell something sweet in their newness. Oh well, back to my tired, adult life. Thanks for the reminder to be joyful and change my POV on occasion.

Sadie Lou said...

CK,
I need your email so I can invite you to a private blog.
~Sadie

Sadie Lou said...

email it to me at
lollishops@gmail.com

CyberKitten said...

Sadie said: CK,I need your email so I can invite you to a private blog.

Is it a 'deep issues' debate Blog?

Would I be the only Atheist there?

You're not trying to convert me are you? You'd be pretty much wasting your time if you where... [grin]

CyberKitten said...

SK said: Good post CK... I really appreciated that POV today.

Thanks.

Sadie said: Hard on the outside; ooey gooey in the middle eh CyberKitten?

I think you'll find that we're all ooey gooey on the inside - except for the crunchy bits - which are bones.

Sadie said: Good post.

Thanks. It also shows that I'm not a completely heartless bastard too... So there's a result!

V V said: Thanks for the reminder to be joyful and change my POV on occasion.

A pleasure as always. It appears to be my mission in life - the comfort the disturbed and to disturb the comfortable.

Sadie Lou said...

Is it a 'deep issues' debate Blog?

Yup.

Would I be the only Atheist there?

Nope.

You're not trying to convert me are you? You'd be pretty much wasting your time if you where... [grin]

No conversion efforts--just bring your skills and your brain.
:)

I think you'll find that we're all ooey gooey on the inside - except for the crunchy bits - which are bones.

OK Literal Bear.
That's your new nickname-ditch "cyber kitten" you are now "Literal Bear"

VV said...

"It appears to be my mission in life - [to] comfort the disturbed and to disturb the comfortable." Are you saying _I'm_ disturbed? I found _your_ comment on the crunchy bits disturbing. ;-)

"I think you'll find that we're all ooey gooey on the inside - except for the crunchy bits - which are bones."