About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Crazie Christmas

As has become a tradition amongst our little group we had a get together recently to exchange gifts, drink beer and munch on nibbles – followed by a selection of DVDs. Originally planned for the 29th December it was brought forward to the 28th to accommodate the plans of one of our clique now living in London. As I was travelling from the frozen North on that day I arrived at the Aginoth residence rather weary but perked up after some coke – the drink not the powder – and a bite to eat. Presents were distributed before the children went to bed and, as I often do, I received a collection of books to add to the several piles dotted around my house – more of which when I review them. After struggling to stay awake late into the evening we made our way home and I fell into bed in the early hours of the 29th.

After the best part of 10 days relaxing at my Mothers I’m enjoying a shorter relaxed period at my place before returning to work in the New Year. I most certainly needed the long break and will no doubt feel refreshed enough to give my job the energy and attention it needs. In the mean time I shall sleep late, read books, watch DVDs and play games…. Oh, and see 'Avatar' tomorrow….. I’m really looking forward to that.

I hope that all of my readers – yes, all six of you – have had the Christmas you needed and wanted and that 2010 will be an improvement on 2009.

8 comments:

Sleepypete said...

Who are the other 5 ?

Hearing lots of good things about Avatar, should be one of the better films. Mayhem traffic though ...

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I'm one of them!

dbackdad said...

Sounds like a nice holiday. Looking forward to your posts, as always.

My New Year's resolution will be to a bit more prolific with my posts.

CyberKitten said...

sleepy said: Who are the other 5 ?

Oh, they know who they are.... [grin]

mike said: I'm one of them!

See... [laughs]

dbackdad said: Sounds like a nice holiday. Looking forward to your posts, as always.

Thanks. Ditto.

dbackdad said: My New Year's resolution will be to a bit more prolific with my posts.

So long as you're posting stuff because you want to - rather than feel that you have to....

I think my postings are going to be a bit more... provocative. Otherwise things can get a little dull here.... Their definitely should be a few surprises coming up [knowing grin].

dbackdad said...

I feel I "have to" because I want to. It's just that if I don't resolve to do so, my procrastination and "turn on the TV" gene too often takes over. :-)

CK said, "my postings are going to be a bit more... provocative" - Your blog is hardly dull but I'm always for a bit of excitement. Bring on the surprises!

Laura said...

I'm curious what you think of Avatar. I honestly have no interest in it, really. There's an interesting debate going on Facebook regarding the value of seeing that movie and an article I posted about it: http://www.feministing.com/archives/019407.html#more (this contains spoilers so save it till after)

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

So far, everyone I know who had no interest in Avatar came away absolutely loving it.

I too am curious to read CyberKitten's reaction to it.

dbackdad said...

Laura - That's definitely an interesting article. I personally feel that any important discussion that is brought up in relation to a movie is fair game.

But, in this case, I feel it's largely beside the point. This is a popcorn movie through and through. You don't go to 300 for historical accuracy. You don't go to The Hangover for a thoughtful exposition of marriage relations and you don't go to Avatar for a debate on the "noble savage" theory. It's attaching a level of significance that was never intended. That being said, it's not a thoughtless movie either.

This is an immersive 3D experience unlike anything that I've ever seen. I really think you would like it.