About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Just Finished Reading: Think by Simon Blackburn

Although billed as an ‘Introduction to Philosophy’ this is more of an introduction to philosophical thinking. On the face of it that’s quite a subtle difference but it managed to produce a much different book than I was expecting. Why, you might ask yourself, am I still reading introductions to a subject I recently finished a degree in? Probably because I still feel that my grounding in philosophy leaves very much to be desired. Philosophy is a huge subject and despite reading and studying the subject for the best part of 3 years now (not counting my previous random dabbling) I still often feel out of my depth. It’s not a feeling I particularly like – especially in respect to a subject I find fascinating.

Anyway – to the book in question: I’ve read a few things by Simon Blackburn and he has yet to disappoint. This book is no exception. Starting with the basics – like how we can know things, he progresses through the main questions that have vexed philosophers from the earliest days. Moving from the problem of knowledge he slides effortlessly to consider the problem of the Mind, Free Will, the existence of the Self, God, Reasoning, the World and finally ends up with Ethics. As you can imagine from the vast area covered (in a small format book of less than 300 pages) none of the discussions are in any great depth. Blackburn does very well however to bring out the essence of the problem and offers up some of the thoughts surrounding the possible answers. However, as anyone who has dipped their toe into philosophical waters knows only too well, answers do not come easy. But its not always about answers, it’s about the journey the questions take you on. That, I think, is the essence of philosophy. Not unlike the heroes of myth and story, the philosopher goes into the underworld of ideas and comes back transformed into a different being – hopefully a better being but certainly a changed one. Blackburn’s book approaches philosophy from the point of view of a journey of discovery rather than a simplistic question and answer exercise. It won’t provide you with many of the answers you’re looking for but it might change the way you look at the questions.

No comments: