About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Thinking About: Ignorance


The more I learn the more aware I become of the scale of my ignorance. Despite making fairly strenuous efforts over the years to know more about more I realise that much of human knowledge will forever be beyond me. Given ten lifetimes I might have developed a general understanding of many things, but as I have only a single lifetime even that general knowledge is simply beyond me. Not only will I remain ignorant of many things, I am now, and will remain, ignorant of the very existence of whole areas of knowledge.

Even if not a single new book was published from today I will never be able to catch up if I spent all day every day until my death reading. Not only will I never read the more obscure and difficult texts sitting mostly on university shelves and nowhere else, many of the great classics of human literature will never pass through my hands. Anything not translated at some point into English is beyond me as is anything remotely mathematical without a whole lot of study that would take me away from other subjects. Whole swathes of history are unknown to me. I might be able to locate a battle or two and a few names in a particular century but that would be it – and it’s almost guaranteed that these events and those people existed in Europe. My knowledge of non-European events and personalities is generally pitiful. Although I see myself as having a scientific frame of mind most of science is a closed book to me. Anything requiring much more than basic mathematics is a real struggle, yet my knowledge of physics is probably best when compared to biology and especially chemistry of which I know very little.

One of the reasons you might have noticed that I read so many introductory books – often on the same subject – is that I don’t believe that my grounding is good enough in anything I think I might understand. I am, rather paradoxically, fairly certain that I do not know anything with any degree of certainty. The knowledge that I do have (or at least think I have) is probably built on foundations hanging in the air. The more I dig into them the less solid ground I find. I cannot, however, simply stop digging for fear of what I might, or might not, find there. Of course in some ways this is incredibly exciting. It is like entering a hidden valley with only the sketchiest of guidebooks (if that) and taking the rest of your life to find out everything you can about the place despite knowing that there is another valley beyond this one and, probably, another one beyond that. Exploring the vast unknown is a little overwhelming when you glance momentarily at the ‘big picture’ but is more easily digested in bite-sized chunks. This despite the nagging knowledge that there are meals, both exotic and plain, that we will never encounter or even hear of.

It is not surprising then that my reaction to statements of certain knowledge is usually laughter. It is not, however, because I cannot conceive of anyone knowing things for certain where I do not. It’s because when questioned on the grounds of their certainty it quickly becomes clear that they know even less than I do. Their certainty is based on ignorance whereas my uncertainty is based on my certain knowledge of my own ignorance. Those who safely reside inside the bubble of political or religious certainty appear to exist on one side of a semi-permeable membrane which allows their ignorance out into the world but prevents knowledge of their ignorance seeping back in to inform them of the error of their certainty. They are unaware of their ignorance even when they come face to face with it. I can only suppose that their feelings of certain knowledge helps keep them warm at night whereas my feelings of ignorance do not. From my point of view I’d rather be aware of what I don’t know rather than being ignorant and, falsely, happy about it. I don’t like being ignorant and there’s not a whole lot I can do about it, but I’ll do the little that is possible and see where it leads. Welcome to my journey……

6 comments:

VV said...

I've had this very same conversation with people about running for political office. I sit, absolutely stunned at the ignorance of a couple of the people on our City Council. They can't speak proper English to save their lives and they are native speakers. They are beyond blissfully ignorant about the budgets, statistics and connections they should be making in the material in front of them that concerns the livelihood of our town and the safety of its people. They publicly acknowledge they haven't read the material and admit they couldn't understand if they did. Yet they believe they are perfectly qualified to sit at that table and argue with the other council members who are experts in their particular fields. Said experts having both education and professional experience whereas these others have neither. I am astounded! When people have told me I should run, I tell them I am not qualified, and simply being more qualified than the idiots currently there, is not enough for me. I'd rather work to get the most qualified people in those seats, than sit there, simply a little less ignorant than my predecessors. I am reminded daily how little I know, even though I keep reading, I keep learning, it's never enough. I know I don't read anywhere near the volumes that you do, so if reading more will just make me more aware of how little I know, maybe the expression "ignorance is bliss" has something to it. :-)

dbackdad said...

"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." -- Ben Franklin

Considering the breadth of what you read and think about, I don't think you have anything to be ashamed of.

I actually find it exciting that I don't know everything and that there are so many things for me to learn about. If I was certain that I had all the answers ... then, that would be something to be afraid of.

CyberKitten said...

v v said: I sit, absolutely stunned at the ignorance of a couple of the people on our City Council. They can't speak proper English to save their lives and they are native speakers.

I too am stunned at the speeches of some of your politicians in YouTube. Most of ours at least *appear* to be literate!

v v said: They publicly acknowledge they haven't read the material and admit they couldn't understand if they did. Yet they believe they are perfectly qualified to sit at that table and argue with the other council members who are experts in their particular fields.

This seems to be coupled to the idea that 'folks' are just as good running things as experts - indeed being an expert in *anything* appears to be elitist and, therefore, bad in some way.

v v said: I am reminded daily how little I know, even though I keep reading, I keep learning, it's never enough.

Unfortunately it's a fact of life....

v v said: I know I don't read anywhere near the volumes that you do, so if reading more will just make me more aware of how little I know, maybe the expression "ignorance is bliss" has something to it. :-)

I rather say that ignorance is dangerous to you and others...

dbackdad said: Considering the breadth of what you read and think about, I don't think you have anything to be ashamed of.

Oh, I'm not ashamed. Just understandably annoyed. I'm ok in a pub quiz or as a member of a team playing one of those quiz machines but that's about it. My general knowledge is pretty good but no way could I do some of the more high-brow quiz shows without some serious research.

dbackdad said: I actually find it exciting that I don't know everything and that there are so many things for me to learn about.

Most definitely. It's one of the things that makes my life worth living.

dbackdad said: If I was certain that I had all the answers ... then, that would be something to be afraid of.

Well, people who think that certainly scare the shit out of me!

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

You're in good company.

"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing." -- Socrates

CyberKitten said...

One smart cookie - and one of my heroes....

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Mine too! Ironically I was introduced to him by this book: Socrates Meets Jesus while I was still a Christian. I still have it and should read it again, I imagine I'll find it less convincing.