About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, November 15, 2010

The Female Voice



Those of you who know me IRL or have been long time regular visitors here will know that I have very wide tastes in music. I enjoy Bob Dylan and Beethoven as much as Marilyn Manson and Mozart. But one thing that I probably enjoy above all else is the female voice in all of its variety. Below I’ve put together a non-exhaustive list of women I could listen all day to. They are in no particular order or preference. Where they are the lead singer of a band (and it’s not immediately obvious who they are) I have put the bands name in brackets.



K T Tunstall
Tori Amos
Alicia Keys
Neneh Cherry
Sharleen Spiteri (Texas)
Nina Simone
Tracey Thorn
Janis Joplin
Amy Lee (Evanescence)
Lacy Mosley (Flyleaf)
Annie Lennox
Belinda Carlisle
Venessa Carlton
Tracey Chapman
Natalie Merchant
Alison Moyet
Sheryl Crow
Alanis Morissette
Bjork
Toyah Wilcox
Kate Bush
Fiona Apple
Grace Slick
Shirley Manson (Garbage)
Avril Lavigne
Norah Jones
Sam Brown
Meredith Brooks
Hayley Williams (Paramore)
Billie Holiday

6 comments:

Sleepypete said...

I thought you did listen to those all day - through the wall to my place ! :-)

I could probably listen to some of those all day cos of how much of their stuff is in the library.
Tori Amos - 127 tracks for 8.7 hrs
Kate Bush - 86 for 5.7 hrs
All the Avril Lavigne, Garbage, Norah Jones and Paramore albums

Add in Suzanne Vega for 88 songs and Alisha's Attic for 84 songs (though I had more there ...)

I find Tori Amos a bit hit and miss though.

PS Got Tiger Suit yet ?
PS2 There's another Avril Lavigne album coming in the new year.

Baley Petersen said...

Excellent list. I agree with all those that I recognize. But you forgot Joan Jett, Ani DiFranco, and Brandi Carlile.

Thomas Fummo said...

Ditto what Baley said and also, no love for Enya or Stevie Nicks?

VV said...

The vast majority are also women I like to listen to and sing along with. The only one I don't care for is Bjork. I've never heard anything from her that I like, nor have I care for her voice on the songs I've heard. Maybe I've judged her too harshly. Which song would you say exhibits her voice in its best light?

VV said...

Oh, I forgot to add the other voices I like that didn't make your list: Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles; Karen Carpenter; Anna Nalick, Enya, and Loreena McKennitt.

CyberKitten said...

Pete: Yup Suzanne Vega could have been there and Joni Mitchell come to think of it....


Baley said: But you forgot Joan Jett, Ani DiFranco, and Brandi Carlile.

I'm afraid that I've never heard of either Ani DiFranco or Brandi Carlile and didn't recognise either of them when I Googled them. Joan Jett is OK but I wouldn't have added her to my list.

TF said: no love for Enya or Stevie Nicks?

Stevie Nicks has definitely got a good voice but I could live without Enya.

V V said: The only one I don't care for is Bjork. I've never heard anything from her that I like, nor have I care for her voice on the songs I've heard.

Bjork is most definitely an acquired taste. I first heard her in the Sugarcubes and then as a solo artist. The strangest of her CDs I own is where she sings jazz - in icelandic...... [grin]. I can only recommend her album 'Debut' as some of the best and most accessible of her work.

v v said: Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles; Karen Carpenter; Anna Nalick, Enya, and Loreena McKennitt.

I did almost add Susanna Hoffs to the list - and I had a huge crush on Karen Carpenter in my youth. She definitely had an amazing voice.