About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Friday, December 31, 2010

“After all that is bewitching in the idea of a single and constant attachment, and all that can be said of one’s happiness depending entirely on any particular person, it is not meant – is not fit – it is not possible that it should be so.”



Jane Austen – Sense and Sensibility.


If there is anything else that needed to be said to affirm Miss Austen’s genius I am presently unsure as to what that is……

4 comments:

Sadie Lou said...

That is the single most confusing quote ever. I can not make sense of it.

CyberKitten said...

She's basically saying that a persons happiness is not dependent on any one person. Presumably leading onto the idea that if you can't have the particular and present object of your desire that you can find someone else who will do just as well.

Sadie Lou said...

You have to admit that the wording is so choppy, much is lost in translation. The way you said it makes so much more sense.

CyberKitten said...

I guess it's slightly harder to understand because it was written so long ago.

I love the way language was used back then. It seems so much richer than modern speak - although I appreciate that it would take far too long to say just about anything! It is nice to read it from time to time though - once you get used to the rhythm it flows beautifully.