About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Snowed Out



While some people find that the adverse weather we’ve been having lately has caused them to be snowed in – isolated from the outside – I find that I have been snowed out. I had decided, for several reasons, to see my Mother/family for Christmas a day later than usual – that is today. It had snowed here over night (only about an inch or so) but I’d checked the local weather for my Mums place and it seemed OK. So I caught my planned train and headed North – into deeper and deeper snow. When I got just over half way I dug into my backpack for my mobile phone to see that I had missed two calls and had two text messages – both saying to call home immediately, which I did. Apparently it had snowed at least 12 inches deep at my Mums place and it was still snowing. Both my brother and sister thought it unlikely that they could drive to the nearest train station to pick me up and the local buses had stopped running. My sister, bless her, thought I should take the chance and continue with my journey. Luckily for me I’m more cautious than that and decided to reverse my journey and come home – which I managed after another four hours of travel chaos.


So here I am – back home. The downside is no Christmas with the family and no sight of my sister’s latest addition. The upside is that I have full Internet access for the whole Christmas break and access to my computer games. Missing out on my Mother’s Christmas dinner tips the balance in her favour so I’d have to say that today’s result is generally negative – but at least I’m not stuck somewhere freezing my ass off. I think that from now on I’ll visit in the summer. At least the worst that can happen is a heat-wave and a drought.

7 comments:

Stephen said...

I take it snow does not melt away after a few hours in Britain as it does here in Alabama. ;-)

CyberKitten said...

I read today that it's expected to last at least another 4 weeks - which will make it the worst winter since 1910.

dbackdad said...

Pisser. We're heading back to the snowy stuff Tuesday. Driving to the place of my birth ... Iowa ... for our first Christmas back there in 6 years. And no internet access. But I'm taking plenty of books, so it's not all bad.

Sorry you didn't get to see the family.

VV said...

Sorry about the snow CK. That's too bad. Glad you're finding a bright side to it all. We're staying home, as we do most years, because I hate to travel over Christmas holidays. Some years we're on the road, but thankfully not this year.

Hannah said...

Sorry that the snow got in the way of spending the holiday with your family.
I'm still waiting on some real snow here in the Northeast, so far we've only had a couple of dustings.

VV said...

Hi CK, I just saw my neighbor in the store. He's from England. He and his family were supposed to fly to England tonight to spend the holidays with family but got snowed out. He said it was somewhat of a relief because the thought of traveling with a 1 yr old in bad weather over the holidays, for such a short visit just had stress written all over. They're now planning a few weeks stay this summer.

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: And no internet access. But I'm taking plenty of books, so it's not all bad.

That was my plan [grin]. Now I have even more books to hand *and* Internet access....

dbackdad said: Sorry you didn't get to see the family.

It didn't bother me that much when I got back home yesterday. Now I'm starting to quite miss the idea.

v v said: We're staying home, as we do most years, because I hate to travel over Christmas holidays.

Travelling up isn't normally that bad. Travelling back is a bitch though - trains *full* to overflowing with people laden with presents just wanted to get home. Not fun.

Hannah said: Sorry that the snow got in the way of spending the holiday with your family.

For everything there is a first time. I made the right decision though. If I'd not turned around I would have been stuck 8 miles away and the only sensible option would to have been to turn around at that point - with the possibility of getting stuck somewhere else.

Hannah said: I'm still waiting on some real snow here in the Northeast, so far we've only had a couple of dustings.

Oh, be *very* careful what you wish for! [grin]

v v also said: He and his family were supposed to fly to England tonight to spend the holidays with family but got snowed out.

I did hear someone on the train - during the 2nd leg of my journey - saying that he was on his way to Aberdeen (in the far north of Scotland) and, after a 7 hour flight, he had been forced to land in Birmingham as his local airport was snowed in. Hence he was expecting another 7 hours (at least) on a train before he got home! I do hope he's there by now!!!