About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, January 31, 2011

The Best Books of 2007



I reviewed 52 books here in 2007. These are my Top 5 from that year – in chronological reading order:


Metropolitan by Walter Jon Williams
Blood of Victory by Alan Furst
Conventions of War by Walter Jon Williams
Way of the Wolf by E E Knight
The Feast of All Saints by Anne Rice



The Best Books of 2008


I also reviewed 52 books here in 2008. These are my Top 5 from that year – in chronological reading order:


Permutation City by Greg Egan
The Algebraist by Iain M Banks
The World without Us by Alan Weisman
Black Mass – Apocalyptic Religion and the death of Utopia by John Gray
The Gunpowder Plot – Terror and Faith in 1605 by Antonia Fraser

7 comments:

dbackdad said...

Good stuff. I've read 2 of yours from 2008 (Algebraist and World Without Us) and they are among my favorite books of all time.

I'll look out for the rest.

Stephen said...

I remember reading "The World Without Us" after seeing a fictional documentary based on it. "After People", it may have been called..

CyberKitten said...

I'll post my Top 5's from 2009 and 2010 at some point. This post is pretty much a fill-in instead of the favourite movie review I never got around to writing over the weekend.

SC: I think I did the same thing.

dbackdad: I think you'll like the SF listed here. It's generally of the harder variety I know you like.

Sleepypete said...

The Algebraist was awesome. Outstanding introduction to Iain M Banks, backed up by Consider Phlebas.

Not really got a favourite from the selection I've read so far this year but Jim Butcher's Storm Front (Harry Dresden) has made an excellent start.

CyberKitten said...

Iain M Banks totally rocks.... One of the best HARD SF authors EVER!

I saw part of the Dresden season on TV - was it cancelled? - it looked interesting and there's certainly plenty of books in the series.

Sleepypete said...

Dresden Files had 1 season of 13 episodes that went pretty well. Don't think it was renewed and they never come back after a few years absence (it ran 2007-2008).

Still, they ended it pretty well. I think I'll queue it up to watch next time I have a gap after going through Babylon 5.

dbackdad said...

The huge VNSA Used Booksale that I go to ever year is coming up this weekend. I've been sifting through all your books reviews to get some ideas. I have several Greg Egan books in my collection that I haven't read yet. What would you recommend from him? Also, some good ideas on general hard sci-fi authors that I might have missed?