About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, April 11, 2011


Soundtrack to My Life

One of the pleasures of visiting the cinema, after the movie itself and (often) spending time with friends, is the music that accompanies the whole experience – be it incidental music composed specifically for the film or existing songs from various artists. A significant percentage of the music I have bought by new artists (or at least new to me) has been the result of hearing them first in a movie. So being the person I am I have accumulated quite a collection of movie soundtracks and here they are (in no particular order). I suspect that some of them will surprise you.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon – Tan Dun

Cyber City Oedo 808 – Rory McFarlane

Akira – Geinoh Yamashirogumi

Streets of Fire – Various

Cruel Intentions – Various

Pump up the Volume – Various

2001: A Space Odyssey – Various

Strange Days – Various

Braveheart – James Horner

The Matrix – Various

XXX – Various

Ghost Dog – Various

Cradle 2 Grave – Various

Lilio and Stitch – Various (mainly Elvis)

Shrek 2 – Various

Kill Bill Vol 1 – Various

Queen of the Damned – Various

Underworld – Various

Man on Fire – Harry Gregson-Williams

Quadrophenia – Various (mainly The Who)

Kingdom of Heaven – Harry Gregson-Williams

Pride and Prejudice – Dario Marianelli

Happy Feet – Various

Shoot ‘em Up – Paul Haslinger

300 – Tyler Bates

Across the Universe – Various (The Cast)

Donnie Darko – Various

Wanted – Danny Elfman

The Crow – Various

Inception – Hans Zimmer

Alice in Wonderland – Danny Elfman

Sucker Punch - Various

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Interesting collection. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is amazing in every respect. That's one of my favorite movies. Definitely with you with Queen of the Damned, Across the Universe, XXX, and The Matrix.

One of my favorite soundtracks of all time though is from Requiem for a Dream. All of the music was composed specially for the movie and is played by the Kronos Quartet. The only word I can come up with to describe it is haunting.

CyberKitten said...

Hannah said: Definitely with you with Queen of the Damned, Across the Universe, XXX, and The Matrix.

The opening music from The Matrix still sends shivers up my spine...

Across the Universe is wonderful. My friend CQ & I saw it twice (maybe three times) in quick succession. We were both very impressed by a cast that could act, sing *and* dance. Some of the Beatles tunes where, I thought, better than the originals which is really saying something.

Queen of the Damned is one of my all time fave soundtracks. I actually 'discovered' a few good bands off that CD.