About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, June 20, 2011


Thinking About: Other People

A little while ago I had a week off and spent it in a cottage a few miles outside Hereford. Although not exactly isolated it was far enough off the beaten track to give one friend dark enough skies to use his telescope and to give some of the others problems with cell-phone and Internet access – 5 out of 6 people brought laptops which I found more than a little amusing.

Despite the fact that I needed the break from work and I was in the company of friends I have known for years I still, after a few days, began looking forward to being back in my own home and to sleeping in my own bed. I wasn’t homesick (something I have never suffered from) but I was very conscious that I was in the company of other people for 7 days straight and for almost 24 hours of each day. That is highly unusual for me. Normally I spend most evenings and weekends on my own – at least physically. When I got back home I honestly relished the silence in my house (before I put some of my music on) and loved the idea that I could use the bathroom whenever I liked and that I didn’t have to take anyone’s wishes, opinions or feelings into account whenever I thought about what I wanted to do next. But don’t get me wrong. I like other people. I’ve even loved some of them and a smaller sub-set has loved me too. But I am fully aware of the fact that I not only like being on my own and want to spend time alone that I actually need to be on my own. My idea of Hell, to misquote Sartre, is to be in the company of other people 24/7 365. It would, I strongly believe, send me insane.

One thing I’m unsure of though – whether this feeling is the result of me being alone so much or whether it’s the cause. Have I simply adapted to my circumstances by preferring being alone? There might be an element to that but I don’t think that’s the whole story. It’s true that I have had to adapt to a largely solitary life but I doubt that I could have adapted so well if I did not already possess a predisposition to wanting/needing to be alone. Despite missing having a ‘significant other’ in my life I cannot conceive actually living with someone no matter how much I love them. If I did go so far as to share a house with someone there would have to be part of it that was purely mine where she would be excluded. She would have to be a very special person to put up with that kind of thing I think.

I have known several people who are clearly terrified of being alone for more that very short periods. I have always marvelled at their overpowering drive to be with other people (often to be with anyone rather than no one). They have been equally amazed at my ability to stand long periods of solitude. Personally I believe that I could spend a year on a deserted island without breaking a psychological sweat. The other people I know would probably have killed themselves in the first month if or sooner – or built a raft out of old coconuts and sailed to the nearest inhabited landmass. I do not understand this need – at least on an emotional level – and it is one of those things that perplex me. I suppose that in many ways I’m rather odd. If most people felt as I do there would probably be a lot less of us around. Maybe I’m missing a gene somewhere. It might explain a few things. If this ‘condition’ is genetic I’m pretty confident that it’s not going to be passed on to future generations. In the mean time I shall continue being on my own (I strongly suspect) and enjoying it (mostly). 

5 comments:

Sleepypete said...

I suspect it's a need to control our environment, whether that's free choice of music, activity or even just being free to leave the loo seat up without comment.

I think me tunnelling my attention into a book is my means of exerting that control.

Was relieved to get back too - free choice of music ! And sport for the telly.

Still, total control over one's environment is good but I find it boring after a while.

wstachour said...

I've been chewing lately on a variant of this same phenomenon. I don't live alone (nor do I feel a yearning for that), but I do spend a lot of my free time alone.

Life is really good, and I only think about this because I wonder if a change in circumstances later in life will expose my choices as being rather ill-thought-out. But at the moment I can't really get myself too worked up about that.

VV said...

For me, it's the difference between living inside your head, and living outside of it. I need to have quiet time to think, without distractions, to organize my thoughts, my daily tasks, my life. I have a need to be alone, I love doing things by myself and not considering others. That said, my partner, M, has a need for social stimulation. She needs people, lights, entertainment, etc. I think I can get overwhelmed by too much outside stimulation. Recently she's been thinking about getting waterfront property out in the middle of nowhere. I'd be perfectly happy with that and a couple of dogs, but she would be stir crazy after a while. She loves vacations where she can relax, unwind, be by the water and be left alone, but it's just a short break. By the end of the vacation, she's desperate to get back to civilization. So I was confused by her desire for this property. I think she needs a long vacation from her work right now and moving to her ideal vacation location seemed like a solution to her. When I pointed out the long commute, no stores, restaurants, theatres, no neighbors, day after day, week after week, etc. she finally agreed it was too remote. Darn, what was I thinking? I could have had my ideal home!

CyberKitten said...

Sleepy said: I suspect it's a need to control our environment, whether that's free choice of music, activity or even just being free to leave the loo seat up without comment.

There's an element of control but it's much more than that.

Sleepy said: Still, total control over one's environment is good but I find it boring after a while.

It can be good/interesting/exciting to have someone outside you introduce new/random stuff... but only now and again I feel.

wunelle said: I don't live alone (nor do I feel a yearning for that), but I do spend a lot of my free time alone.

I think it's very good for personal development. Knowing you can rely on your own resources for an extended period is very liberating.

v v said: I need to have quiet time to think, without distractions, to organize my thoughts, my daily tasks, my life. I have a need to be alone, I love doing things by myself and not considering others.

Ditto.

v v said: When I pointed out the long commute, no stores, restaurants, theatres, no neighbors, day after day, week after week, etc. she finally agreed it was too remote. Darn, what was I thinking? I could have had my ideal home!

It was probably love talking - sacrifice for the significant other and all that... [grin] You are two very different people aren't you? It seems to work though!

VV said...

Yeah, we're very lucky that it does work. We seem to balance each other out, otherwise I'd be a hermit, and she would never get anything accomplished at home because she'd always be out playing somewhere.