About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, July 14, 2011



Just Finished Reading: Sharpe’s Trafalger by Bernard Cornwell

India, 1805. Newly promoted Ensign Richard Sharpe is going back to England to join his new regiment. But before he leaves he has a score to settle. The Indian company who had been storing his belongings has lost everything in a fire – or so it seems. On the cusp of getting what he wanted he saves the reputation of the Captain Chase of his Majesties ship Pucelle – a captured French 74 gunner - and they become firm friends. Waving goodbye to India and Captain Chase, Sharpe embarks on the East Indiaman Calliope. Expecting a tedious voyage home he is pleased to find that a fellow passenger is a beautiful woman – Lady Grace Hale. Hardly believing his luck Sharpe has caught her eye too. But as things progress it becomes clear that the other passengers and even some of the crew have their own interests at heart which do not match the interests of the Crown. The Calliope presents a great prize to any French ship that can capture her and such an eventuality is not unwelcome to everyone on board. But unknown to everyone involved is that their final destination can only be arrived at by passing through the waters destined to be forever remembered for one of the greatest naval battles in British history – a battle that will decide the fate of the whole European continent.

This is my 11th Sharpe novel and one which holds a special place on my book shelves. It was signed by the author, dedicated to me, on my 40th birthday. Yes, it’s taken me 11 years to get around to finally reading it. I can tell you it was worth the wait. This is the first Sharpe book I have read in which the hero is literally out of his element. As the consummate land soldier Sharpe is conscious that much of what he has learnt up to that point is at best useless but quickly learns to put his native courage and natural fighting skills to good use doing the thing he loves best – killing Frenchmen. I understand that the author found writing this book difficult too as ships-of-the-line in those days were amongst the most complicated vehicles designed by humans. Although many of the terms were unfamiliar to me they didn’t get in the way of the story – indeed I now think I can recognise a mizzen mast! The most impressive thing I found about this novel was the battle of Trafalger itself. Explained masterfully, the brutality of naval warfare in the early 19th century was brought home to me in ways that I could hardly imagine prior to reading this. The tactic or technique of raking – where a ship empties its guns into the stern of an enemy allowing unimpeded progress through the length of the enemy causing massive damage – was not completely new to me but to ‘see’ its effects was a revelation. The tactical innovations of Nelson – again very well explained in this novel – tipped the balance against a numerically superior Franco-Spanish force.

Rather sedate to begin with (without being in the least bit boring) and ending in a pages long battle this was a seriously fun read. I have definitely been away from Sharpe for far too long. I’m in the process of filling in my gaps in the narrative (3 books acquired so far) so will be returning to his adventures with increasing frequency. You’ll also notice more naval fiction in the future as well as some history books about naval warfare. As you can tell this has certainly piqued my interest – as a good book should. Highly recommended for anyone interested in military fiction or a cracking good read.   

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Glad you enjoyed it. I especially liked Sharpe's friendship with Chase, who returns in "Sharpe's Prey".

CyberKitten said...

sc said: I especially liked Sharpe's friendship with Chase, who returns in "Sharpe's Prey".

Excellent. I shall look forward to that.

I've liked all 11 of the Sharpe books I've read so far and expect to like the others just as much. It's an excellent series.