About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, August 18, 2011


Just Finished Reading: Tragedy – A Very Short Introduction by Adrian Poole

I am the first to admit that this book was more than a little out of my comfort zone – probably because it wasn’t really what I expected it to be. Of course I expected it to be about tragedy, but I didn’t expect it (though maybe I should have) to be largely about the treatment of tragedy in the theatre. As I said – more than a little outside my comfort zone! Naturally I understood that the literary tradition of tragedy came from the Ancient Greeks (actually its difficult to think of much that didn’t originate with them). However, my knowledge of particular Greek plays is minimal. I was on more sure ground (but only just) when the discussion moved onto Shakespearian tragedy. At least at this point I had some reference points having seen one of the Bards plays on stage and several of the movie versions. In consequence those areas in the book were more understandable and more interesting. Not so later discussions of plays and poems of which my knowledge stops at recognition of the title alone.

I did actually find parts of this short volume interesting (and informative) particularly the discussion of tragedy in its wider and both its historical and cultural context. I agreed with the author that we use the word far too freely these days when everything it seems is on the tragic scale (likewise we seem to live in an age where no one is simply angry but feel the need to be outraged by what in past times would have generated little comment. It is if we live in an emotional arms race where those who can show they feel the most win – but I digress). I can’t honestly say that I enjoyed reading this book as far too much of it was outside of my normal experience. If however you are a doyen of the stage I’m sure that it would mean much more to you and you would derive much more from it!     

No comments: