About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, June 21, 2014


The Male Voice

I’ve already mentioned several times that I have a deep attraction for the female voice and that many of my favourite musical artists are female. There’s something about their voices that I find profoundly pleasing. But I do like, indeed love, a number of male voices too. So here they are – in no particular order. As previously if they’re a lead singer in a group (and it isn’t obvious) the group’s name will be in brackets following the singer’s name.

David Draiman (Disturbed)
Mick Jagger
Bryan Ferry
Paul Monahan (Train)
Seal
David Sylvian (Japan)
Aaron Lewis (Stained)
Gary Lightbody (Snow Patrol)
Bob Dylan
Gary Numan
Johnny Cash
Lou Reed
Paul Weller
Chris Rea
Lenny Kravitz
Jared Leto (30 Seconds to Mars)
David Bowie
Frank Sinatra
Jon Bon Jovi
Ian Curtis (Joy Division)
Morrissey
Bruce Springsteen
Marc Bolan
Kurt Cobain
John Foxx
Steve Strange (Visage)
Terence Trent D’Arby
Jimi Hendrix
Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy)
Thom Yorke (Radiohead)
Bono
Freddie Mercury
Elvis
Neil Young
Marilyn Manson
Leonard Cohen
Mike Hutchence (INXS)
Adam Ant

I’ve inevitably missed people out but the list was getting surprisingly long. I think there’s a nice mix there but then again I have pretty wide tastes in most things so it keeps my listening interesting.

7 comments:

VV said...

I enjoy a lot of them on your list, but one of my favorites wasn't on there, Gordon Lightfoot. There's something about his voice and songs that pull at my emotions.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

That's quite a list.

Off the top of my head.

Jeff Buckley
Peter Gabriel
Sting
James Taylor
John Arch (Fates Warning and the Arch/Matheos project)
Jeff Scott Soto (Yngwie Malmsteen)
Jamie N. Commons

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Oh, and Michael Hedges, most people love him for his brilliant guitar work, but I love his voice too.

CyberKitten said...

Inevitably I thought I'd miss people so definitely Peter Gabriel and Sting. I collated the names from my CD collection and my Gabriel are only on cassette ATM (remember them).

I know of Jeff Buckley and know James Taylor (of course) but don't have anything by them. I'm afraid that I've never heard of the others. I'll check them out.

dbackdad said...

Nice list. Also definitely agree with Mike's additions of Sting, Gabriel and Buckley. Gabriel's probably top 5 for me. My additions:

Tom Waits
Layne Staley (Alice in Chains)
Eddie Vedder
Chris Cornell (Soundgarden)
-- probably because of my age and when I became an adult, those last three Seattle vocalists were especially important to me.
Bob Marley
Joe Strummer/Mick Jones
Johnny Rotten
Robert Smith
Chino Moreno (Deftones)
Dwight Yoakam
Mike Patton (Faith No More, Mr. Bungle)
Howard Jones (Killswitch Engage)
Maynard James Keenan (Tool, A Perfect Circle)
David Gilmour
Michael Stipe
Corey Taylor (Slipknot, Stone Sour)
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Roy Orbison
Willie Nelson

I'm sure I missed some. But these added on to your lists is fairly comprehensive.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Always hated Willie Nelson when I was younger, then I hear him do Rainbow Connection, and just loved the way he sang it!

How did I forget Chris Cornell?

Ellie said...

So so many amazing male singers. I'm partial to the lead singers of The Calling, 3 Doors Down and Lifehouse (I don't know the names!).