About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, September 13, 2014


Thinking About: Scottish Independence

You really can’t miss it. With less than a week today before the vote takes place the top topic of conversation just about everywhere is whether or not will (or should) Scotland break away from the United Kingdom. It’s obviously an emotive issue to many on both sides of the border apparently with families, partners and friends on both sides of the divide. Me? I’m in favour of Scotland – indeed any country – being as independent as it can be these days (total independence whilst not being actually impossible – I’m looking at you North Korea – isn’t exactly easy nor is it sustainable over the long term without a lot of sacrifices).

But apart from all of the heat and rhetoric the thing that gets me most of all is the level of quite often irrational opposition to the whole thing – never mind the threats and dire warnings. It seems, if you read some papers, that if Scotland decide to be the master of its own fate that European, if not the whole of Western, Civilisation will come crashing to its knees. This is not the time (apparently) to show disunity, and hence weakness, in the face of our many enemies some say. Now is not the time, it appears, for Scotland to ‘go it alone’ in these turbulent economic and political times – especially when jam (sorry, real political power short of independence) is just around the corner if only they say No. But why the panic you see in the eyes of English (and some Scottish) mainstream politicians? What is the real reason for all the doomsday rhetoric? It’s a good question. I wonder if we’ll ever find out the real answer. Maybe if they do vote Yes next week?

Will a great deal change? I really don’t think so, at least not immediately. I think that it’s likely that Scotland will keep the Pound without too much trouble and it won’t matter much if they don’t. There will be no new border controls as, I presume, the country will still be a member of the EU despite splitting from its partner nation. If required I’m sure that it’s possible to add Scotland to the EU roll if required (or indeed if they want to be part of that!) I don’t think it will effect business very much and actually might increase the power of Scottish business if they have the freedom to play with their economy to benefit their own country rather than to add to England’s coffers.

I don’t think the nuclear question is insurmountable. The UK’s nuclear deterrent is based at Faslane and there is talk of Scotland being nuclear free by 2020 but that might just be a bargaining position to ensure that we lease the base from them for the next 99 years (a nice little earner that one). Even if we do need to move the facility it’s not exactly impossible – just expensive and awkward. Such a move will probably do the English economy (to say nothing about the local economy near the new base) the world of good – or it might actually prompt us to finally ditch the whole rather anachronistic weapons and decommission them.


Personally if I was Scottish there wouldn’t be a doubt in my head and I happily vote Yes on the day. Not only has the referendum energised Scottish politics like nothing else recently (the turnout is expected to be record breaking) it is one of those rare opportunities when your vote actually means something and changes something. Oh, and the idea (yet another threat) that this is a one-time deal and there is no going back is obvious bullshit. Partnerships can be formed, broken and reformed as long as both parties agree and it’s for their mutual benefit. Nothing is forever in politics!

4 comments:

wstachour said...

I"m glad to hear from someone close to the fray.

Out walking on our local trail the other day we met a Scottish couple over here for work purposes (we're to do dinner with them this next week). Like a bull in a china shop I asked them what they thought about the vote, and they looked verklempt without actually expressing an opinion. Must be a little disconcerting to have a big thing like this going on in your country while you're away.

But I suspect you're right: there doesn't seem to be anything very dire waiting in the wings. I suspect Scotland will become part of the EU (perhaps adopting the Euro?) and will develop normal and close relations with its neighbor and life will go on.

We shall see!

Stephen said...

I hope the Scots have better luck leaving their union than the Scots-Irish in the US did. ;-)

CyberKitten said...

Whatever happens next week I think it will be close. Either way though the Scottish parliament will gain power - either some or a lot. I also think that the SNP really can't lose here - even if their independence bid fails. They've definitely shown that they are a force to be reckoned with.

VV said...

I've been listening to reports on this with the ear of an historian. I thought to myself, if all your Scottish ancestors who fought and died for independence could see all this, and know that some people were thinking "no" to independence, they'd roll over in their graves. I think in particular of the Battle at Culloden, and the banning of the Clan Tartans. Time has a way of mellowing the memory. Of course, I don't have any stake in this outcome, just a fond wish for all those Scottish Patriots in centuries past, to finally get what they fought for.