About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, June 22, 2015


My Favourite Movies: Jurassic Park (1993)

After seeing Jurassic World last weekend I had a deep urge to see the original(s) again so picked up the trilogy boxset for a song in my local supermarket and watched it this Saturday after accidentally dropping one of my gardens trees into a neighbour’s garden!

Anyway…. I remember seeing this at the movies back in ’93 and hope much I liked it. With what was state of the art CGI and animation (to say nothing of up to the minute scientific knowledge) this wowed audiences across the planet and that most certainly included me. For those who don’t know the story – obviously living under a rock or actually having a life back then – it’s quite a simple one. Millionaire John Hammond (played by Richard Attenborough) wants to open a theme park but needs the sign off of three scientists before his backers will endorse his scheme. So he brings them back to his private island to show them what he has produced. The three are chaos mathematician (and scientific rock star apparently) Ian Malcolm played in suitably over-the-top fashion by Jeff Goldblum, and two initially bemused palaeontologists Ellie Sattler (Laura Dern) and Alan Grant (Sam Neil). Of course all becomes clear when they see their first living dinosaurs and realise why their opinions matter so much. Thrown into the mix are Hammond’s ‘target audience’ in the shape of his niece and nephew played by Ariana Richards and Joseph Mazzello who succeeded (mostly) for the whole movie in not annoying me although Ms Richards seemed to be their just to scream at things and look scared. Mr Mazzello amused me a great deal with his incessant questioning and made some good points – for one about the Yucatan meteor that Dr Grant managed to avoid answering.

Of course not long after we’re introduced to the marvels of genetic engineering things start to go wrong care of a tropical storm and he attempted theft of embryos by computer whiz Dennis Nerdry played by Wayne Knight. Once the animals start escaping there’s much running, screaming and a fair bit if crunching noises and a bit of blood – though nowhere near as much as in the new film. By comparison the original is rather tame although both seem to be PG-13. With so many good actors – I can’t forget Bob Peck as the almost reluctant game keeper Robert Muldoon – there’s only so much each one can do to shine. I was already a fan of Sam Neil who I think is a very good actor so I enjoyed seeing him on screen. I liked the chemistry with Laura Dern who I enjoyed watching and not just for her legs prominently on show through the whole film. She also had some of the best lines including an excellent put down when Hammond wondered if he shouldn’t go turn on the power instead of her to which she said: We can discuss sexism in survival situations when I get back – to which I howled with laughter. Goldblum was, I thought, rather wasted and too creepy to really like very much. I remember he came across much better in the book. The dinosaurs themselves, even looking back with the advantage of present day CGI and general SFX, stood up well to the passing of time. The CGI had dated a bit but not enough to make it cringe worthy or even amusing and the animatronics wasn’t that bad. OK, not a patch on the new version but 20 years in this technology is probably at least four generations.  

If you have forgotten about the original movie – or maybe you were too young to see it – and enjoyed Jurassic World in the last week or so then this is definitely worth a viewing. Take its age into consideration and just go with it… and you’ll be OK as long as they don’t learn to open doors.  

6 comments:

Stephen said...

It took me over a decade to watch this movie after it was released. *Every* time I tried to watch it on VHS, something would happen -- the power would go out, the tape would be eaten by the machine, some pressing emergency would necessitate stopping to go somewhere. I have managed to see all three movies, but the first has the best appeal, possibly just because it took so much effort for me to see it through to the end.

Were you as impressed by the sequels?

CyberKitten said...

I actually can't remember much about either sequel apart from little bits. They didn't leave that much impression on me. So watching them again will be like watching them the first time... [grin]

VV said...

I saw the original and the new one last week. I didn't know there were other sequels. We enjoyed both the original and this newest one. I loved the spectacle in the first one, when you get that panoramic view of all those "living" dinosaurs. I liked the kids better in this newest one, and I didn't like the actress or maybe the role Jessica Chastain played in this newest script. I did enjoy the smart, genetically engineered dinosaur in this latest movie.

CyberKitten said...

The Lost World: Jurassic Park 2 (1997) and Jurassic Park 3 (2001).

I was chatting to some of our contractors about it today and one of them said she really didn't like the Chastain character. I thought she was OK most of the time. Jurassic World tried to both a new movie and a homage to the original. I thought it did both really well. I had a few niggles but nothing really to speak about.

VV said...

I wonder if women in general didn't like Chastain's character. She seemed too cold, and then flip-flopped, into this badass, passionate Dino stalker. I don't know if the acting wasn't good, the script, or both. I didn't find her character likeable or believable.

CyberKitten said...

Difficult to say. She certainly wasn't very likable for most of the film. Cold, distant , unemotional with little time for lovers, sisters or nephews but she did realise the error of her ways after everything had been sorted out although it did take being chased by dinosaurs to do it... But at least she developed as a character. [grin]