About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, November 28, 2016


Just Finished Reading: The Death Instinct by Jed Rubenfeld (FP: 2010)

New York, 16th September, 1920. As the lunchtime rush begins a massive explosion rips through the hearth of the financial district leaving many dead and countless wounded. At the scene by coincidence are battle weary doctor Stratham Younger and his friend NYPD Captain James Littlemore. Thrown into helping the injured and organising the first responders they give little thought to who planted the bomb and why they targeted innocent people going about their daily routine. Within hours however the FBI declare that they know who committed the atrocity and have issued warrants for the arrest of known Italian anarchists in league with Russian Bolsheviks. Before long the State Department is calling it an act of war and sabres are being rattled in all directions. But to Captain Littlemore the calls for immediate retaliation sound hollow and he senses that there is more to the attack than seems obvious at first glance. Some evidence from the scene makes little sense whilst other evidence seems all too conveniently found in just the right place and at just the right time to fit neatly into a pleasing narrative. If things hadn’t been cloudy enough both men are stumped at the possible involvement of Youngers female companion French radiochemist Collette Rousseau. Was her kidnap and subsequent murder attempt a coincidence or is there a connection between the explosion and the other strange goings-on. Who could possibly benefit from causing so much carnage under a blue September sky and why are their new bullet holes in the Treasury Building imposing walls?

The bomb that went off in New York in 1920 was a real event. A crime that has never been solved to this day. Initially international anarchism was blamed but nothing came of the various investigations carried out at the time or since. Of course this was a perfect place for a fictional account of the events surrounding the event – probably the first recorded car bomb (or in this case truck bomb). Essentially there are two, or possibly three, interweaving stories: the real reason behind the bombing, Collette’s back story in France during and just after WW1 and the use (and abuse) of the power of Radium. Some of it rather stretched credulity to breaking point and I did find some chase scenes very silly indeed. As much as I liked all three main characters I think the author overdid Youngers abilities as an action hero, Collette was a delight (as was her younger ‘mute’ brother) but her main motivation was, I thought, suspect at least and far-fetched at worst. The NYPD Captain probably came out as the strongest character and I liked him a lot. I’d like to read more about him in rather less convoluted storylines. Oh, there was a wonderful piece of misdirection about a third to half way through which left me shocked and distraught and then relieved which I thought was particularly well done. Generally it was a fun read, certainly engaging and well-paced as well as full of interesting historical detail (again particularly in relation to the use of radium which I feel the need to read up on). You will need to suspend disbelief a bit more than usual at times but this is still an entertaining read that will keep you guessing to the end. Recommended.

5 comments:

Stephen said...

The setting sounds original!

I know some anarchists practiced what we would recognize as terrorism, though they called it "propaganda of the deed". Emma Goldman for one backed away, though, realizing that violence only sanctified the murdered and backfired on the 'cause'.

VV said...

Have you read, _The Given Day_ by Dennis Lehane? That also included anarchists and bombs, and I recall enjoying the book quite a lot.

CyberKitten said...

I'd heard about the bombing elsewhere but wasn't aware of the detail. What was also interesting was some of the wider perspective as the author explained the context of the attack with other bombs - mostly in Europe but some in the US - and assassinations of leading men (the most famous of which started WW1) that put European nations into something of a panic from the late 19th and into the first quarter of the 20th centuries. As you might imagine I'm going to have to research this a bit more!

I hadn't heard of The Given Day by Dennis Lehane but I think I might be adding it to my Wish List, so thanks for that! I'm actually looking forward to his up coming movie adaptation of Live by Night which looks VERY interesting!

VV said...

Oh yeah, I've been seeing the trailer for that when I go to the movies. I had never heard of that book before. I take it, it's good?

CyberKitten said...

No idea about the book - not an author I've read before - but the trailer looks great! Plus I've become a bit of an Affleck fan boy... [lol]