About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, August 06, 2018


Wedding Belle’s………..

For those of you who wondered why I didn’t post anything Thursday or Friday of last week I was at a wedding. It wasn’t mine I hasten to add [lol] but was my eldest nephews who I haven’t actually seen for around 5 years since he moved away to live with his girlfriend in Sheffield. Sheffield is an old industrial town in Yorkshire (NE England) and the journey up there took around 3 hours on the train. I arrived in the early afternoon on Thursday and took a short taxi trip to the hotel. I was rather impressed by my small compact little room which had a very comfortable ‘double’ bed to spread out on and almost immediately fell asleep as I was pretty much exhausted after not having a break from work since April. I did manage to wake up in time for my evening meal - my sister was attending the wedding rehearsal so I ate alone - (linguine). Back in my room I read for a bit and channel hopped until quite late and had just decided to go to bed when my niece arrived to say that everyone was meeting in the bar. So shoes on and I headed to the bar. With vodka in hand my sister introduced me to the best man and some of the bride’s family who all seemed very nice.

Up early the day of the wedding to ensure I ate a hearty breakfast – not eating again until later afternoon – and to get appropriately ‘suited and booted’ to make a good impression. I think that worked from the laugh my sister gave me when we met up in reception. Fortunately, due to a late change of plans, my sister and family (all 5 other ‘children’ and partner) were staying in the same hotel so I had a lift to the church. This was a good thing as the venue was miles away in the middle of nowhere – practically. It was a lovely old church though (pictured) around 500 years in the main with parts dating back 900 years. The ceremony was longer and more religious than I expected but I found that seeing it through anthropological eyes helped pass the time. I particularly remember the sharp intake of breath and nervous laughter when the bride dropped her husband’s to be ring…..


After a few group photo’s we all got back on the bus – there was a classic bus but my sister also has one with so many kids – and off to the reception in another rather grand hotel. The meal (veggie for me) was surprisingly nice, indeed one of the best such meals I’ve had at this type of event, and I spent a pleasant hour or so chatting to my table companions. After the usual speeches (of varying quality) most of us decanted outside whilst they converted part of the venue to a small dance floor. Let the festivities begin! There followed several hours of drinking, dancing and chatting to various people until the kids simply couldn’t keep their eyes open and we made our excuses and left around midnight. The funniest part of the evening for me was watching my 8 year old nephew trying to teach the bride’s mother (50 years his senior) the Internet dance sensation: The Floss. She tried, bless her, but my youngest nephew was obviously far more experienced at that sort of thing. He was also brilliantly dressed by my sister in a blue suit and waistcoat complete with pocket watch which he lovingly checked occasionally with some ceremony.


Back at the hotel around 1am on Saturday it was straight to bed and the sleep of the exhausted. Up late and another cooked breakfast to tide me over another 3 hour train journey home. It was a fun few days.

7 comments:

Stephen said...

What a beautiful site for it!

CyberKitten said...

First picture is my hotel, second is the church and third is the reception venue.

Mudpuddle said...

a classic English wedding! couldn't be better...

CyberKitten said...

It was indeed Mudpuddle. Proper Northern too.......

VV said...

Sounds lovely. I would have spent some time exploring all the buildings and taking pictures.

CyberKitten said...

You would've LOVED the church. It felt really organic - life a coral reef growing and changing over centuries. I could've spent hours there photographing all the little nooks & oddities.

VV said...

😍 I love wandering around old buildings, exploring, getting a feel for them.