About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, November 19, 2018


Welcome To the Party, Pal!

I always like having things to look forward to. Sometimes they’re mundane, like the weekend, or significant like weddings. Sometimes it might be a new book or the next episode in a TV series I’m enjoying and sometimes its movies. This month I have three movies to look forward to – one new and two classics.

The new one, being shown at the end of the month is Ralf Breaks the Internet – which if the trailers are anything to go by will be an absolute scream. The classics are, well….. CLASSIC. Our local multiplex have got into the habit of showing anniversary showings of BIG movies. Earlier in the year a small group of us went to see 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) on the third attempt (it was fully booked the other times) and the original Bladerunner (1982) which one of the guys hadn’t seen and helped explain (to him) much of what he failed to understand about the recent sequel.

On Thursday we’re going to see Escape from New York (1981) with Kurt Russell, Lee Van Cleef, Erest Borgnine and Donald Pleasence. Now as my friends tend to be 15-20 years younger than me neither of my fellow cinema goers saw this when it came out – naturally – and at least one of them hasn’t seen all of it on TV. As this is one of the better cheesy 80’s movie with quite a cult following I’m really looking forward to it. I definitely saw it on the cinema way back then (age 21) probably with my big brother – we saw a lot of that sort of thing before I went off the University a few years later (long story). Naturally I’ve seen EfNY many times over the years so know it pretty well. I’ll try not to ruin things on Thursday by pre-empting the whole cast’s dialogue.


But what I’m really looking forward to later is one of my all-time favourite movies of all time. Yup, I like it that much. On 7th December the same small group (is three a group?) are off to see the original of Die Hard (1988). Now this is a movie I literally know off by heart. It’s also a movie that all three of us love but, yet again, not one that my other young friends have even on the big screen so that’ll be a thrill in itself. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen Die Hard but it’ll definitely be somewhere in the 20’s at least – my most watched film is probably Bladerunner at 60+ viewings. I think it’s going to be so much fun. It’ll be like wearing your cosiest jumper and going out for your favourite meal with a small group of select friends and then getting moderately drunk and flirting with some cute women before going home with a big grin on your face. It’ll be just like that….. [lol]


I do hope that my local multiplex keep showing classic movies like that. Seeing films that mean so much to me again on the big screen is a great experience – especially when you can share it with people who missed out the first time.   

6 comments:

mudpuddle said...

don't stay out too late, now... (i just had to, forgive it please...)

CyberKitten said...

Both older films are 7:30 showings so I should be fine.... [lol]

VV said...

I love Die Hard!! Our local cinema regularly shows classic movies, but more in the vein of “It’s a wonderful life.” Enjoy! Sounds like a great get together!

CyberKitten said...

Oh, I think Die Hard is just about THE perfect 80's action film.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Die Hard is the best Christmas movie ever. And one of my fave movies, period. It is such a great film. I love when theatres show older movies (Jurassic Park and Titanic came back to theatres in the last few years and it was absolutely awesome).

CyberKitten said...

Our local Multiplex is showing Die Hard from 7th-23rd December. I imagine they'll fill most viewings.

It is SO totally a Christmas movie.