About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, March 18, 2019

A Fictional Dinner Party: 11 people I’d like to sit down to dinner & drinks with

Sherlock Holmes

What a great mind to sit down and discuss things with – although I suspect that he wouldn’t be the most sociable at the table. For anyone who expects tales of his (many) detective achievements it should be remembered that Dr Watson wrote them.

Elizabeth Bennett (Pride & Prejudice)

Lizzie was one of my earliest crushes who probably ruined me forever in the love stakes. It would be nice to have her around to spar with and maybe seduce her away from D’Arcy – after all I have more money than him so must be in need of a wife!

Mr Spock

Say no more really – Spock was THE icon I looked up to in my teens and probably saved my teenage soul when my brain was drowning in testosterone. I have a lot to thank him for and I’d really like to argue Logic with the great man – believing as I do that it’s a great way to make mistakes with confidence.

Chrisjen Avasarala (The Expanse)

Chrisjen totally blew me away in the first two series of The Expanse so I’d jump at the chance of sitting down with her and discuss international and indeed interplanetary politics as if it really mattered – which it does. I think going down the rabbit hole with her discussing realpolitik and her impressive survival skills would be like breathing pure oxygen.

Dr Who (Tom Baker)

I mean, who wouldn’t like to be entertained with a hundred stories from across the galaxy and the centuries – some of which might even be true? Just think what you could learn, just think of all the great people he has met, just think of the FUN.

Sarah Jane Smith (Dr Who)

Sarah was another early crush of mine so it would be fun to have her around. I’d like to bring out her humorous, mischievous side and hear her laugh the night away. I’m sure that her adventures with the Doctor would transfix the whole dining table. 

John Conner

But which one? Not the sulky teenager I think. Not the angry one played by Christian Bale. Maybe the one in Genesys played by Jason Clarke before he ‘turned’. It’d be interesting talking about how you fight an AI so much more intelligent than you are.

Galadriel (LoTR)

I’ve found the idea of Elves fascinating for as long as I can remember. Being so rational (or as much as I can be) being face to face with an actual magical being would be quite a challenge to get my head around but probably one she wouldn’t mind putting up with for a few hours, you know being immortal and all… It’d be an especially good evening if she could be persuaded to provide some Lembas bread!

Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Being VERY Russian Susan can be a little dour at times but deep grounding in the harsh reality of life and her acceptance of the nature of things gives her a huge gravitas that you can’t help but be pulled in by. Yet another fascinating character full of stories – both funny and dramatic – someone who is full of life because she has seen with her own eyes how tragic things can be. Most definitely someone to drink a few glasses of good Vodka with.

Willow Rosenberg

Someone that cute would light up the room (even without using her magic) although I suspect she’d be happier if Tara was there with her for moral support. I’d probably know enough about magic (being honestly fascinated by the subject – go figure) to at least not ask too many stupid questions. It’d be interesting to at least get some idea of how it all works.

Robert Langdon

Apart from the fact that Tom Hanks is an absolute delight in real life (so I understand!) and is a superb actor the ability to discuss Semiotics (the study of signs and symbols) with THE Professor who figured out so much so quickly would (yet again) be riveting. I can imagine that Robert could hold the whole room in the palm of his hand – even with such a tough crowd – when he explains how the science of symbols can be used to ‘read’ the world around us.

4 comments:

mudpuddle said...

provocative list... never heard of some of them... Umberto Eco was a semioticist; i bought one of his texts once and managed to read the first couple of pages; got rather swampy after that, tho...

Judy Krueger said...

I would come to that party!

Stephen said...

Really wouldn't have expected Langdom, but I like your rationale!

CyberKitten said...

@ Mudpuddle: I have several works by Eco but I haven't yet read them. I did like 'Name of the Rose' as a movie though (I think!)

@ Judy: I think it'd be fun if you like a talking party!

@ Stephen: Not Langdon - at least not from me? I think I can see what you mean. I enjoyed 'Da Vinci' (both book and film) but his other stuff didn't really float my boat anything like as much.