About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, July 01, 2019


You know its Foreign, Right?

Some years ago my friends and I really got into foreign films (complete with sub-titles) when our local multiplex started showing them regularly. It probably all started with the runaway success of Crouching Tiger way back in 2000. A friend of mine who was into such off the wall things – and who also enjoyed being ‘in’ – dragged me along to see it at a local arthouse cinema and I honestly haven’t looked back since. So, here’s some of my favourite foreign language sub-titled films of recent years:

The Motorcycle Diaries (Spanish)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Chinese)
House of the Flying Daggers (Chinese)
Army of Crime (French)
Akira (Japanese)
13 Assassins (Japanese)
Brotherhood of the Wolf (French)
Ghost in the Shell (Japanese)
Flame and Citron (Danish)
Troll Hunter (Norwegian)
The Spanish Musketeer (Spanish)
Nikita (French)
Amelie (French)
Seven Samurai (Japanese)
Fearless (Chinese)
Mesrine (Part 1 and 2) (French)
Hero (Chinese)
22 Bullets (French)
Let the Right One In (Swedish)
District 13 (French)
He Loves me, He Loves me Not (French)
The Apartment (French)

I’ve actually been a HUGE fan of French movies in particular for many years. I even think my Dad might have got me watching this sort of thing with his love for Jacques Tati and Francois Truffaut movies. My Dad was a lot deeper and more cultured than most people gave him credit for. So, if you’re feeling adventurous or in the mood for something different maybe try some of these out.

4 comments:

mudpuddle said...

Tati was a national treasure... Mr. Hulot's Holiday is one of the imo best movies ever made...

CyberKitten said...

Tati was a genius. He could do SO much with so little. Even in a different language (although much was done with gesture etc) and even from a different culture/age is was still rib achingly funny.

Judy Krueger said...

Thanks for the list. I have only seen a few but I do love foreign films. How could I not, living in the land of Hollywood where so many movies are so predictable and mostly just untrue dreams?

CyberKitten said...

@ Judy: Oddly I most like Chinese and French films. I know lots of people who don't like sub-titles but I find you get used to them very quickly.