About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, December 09, 2019


Just Finished Reading: The Fleshpots of Sansato by William F Temple (FP: 1968)

It was a discovery that would change everything. In order to hold the ‘lessor’ species in check the ancient Dorian race denied all others knowledge of the Gate system that allowed instantaneous travel between stars. Forced to travel by sub-light shipping one way it was almost impossible to expand as humankind wished. Now one of their greatest scientists had discovered how the Gates work – and had instantly disappeared. Tasked with finding him at all costs the head of Earth’s most secret service, Sidereal Intelligence, has a lead he wants his agent Roy Garner to investigate. Roy has been picked because of his love of the finer things in life and especially women. Such skills will come in handy where he’s going. For the scientist was last seen in Sansato – home of the galactically famous Sato girls – where any pleasure and any vice is available at a price.

This was a fairly typical SF pulp novel of its time. As a Teen (when I read most of this stuff) I would’ve probably been interested mostly in the discussion of Einstein’s Time Dilation issue as the Speed of Light was approached rather than the other aspects of this short (a mere 127 page) novel. The underlying plot was paper thin, the characterisation likewise and the dialogue pretty bad. The author was trying to channel 40’s Noir into a SF background but without much success. Being the late 60’s there were a few sexual hints, some of which were on the disturbing side to be honest. The main female characters, such as they were where indentured prostitutes with little say over any aspect of their lives – no matter how well-known or ‘valued’ they were. Overall the plot was barely coherent and the ending telegraphed pretty much in advance. A slow read and not a particularly interesting or fun one. (R)   

3 comments:

mudpuddle said...

i've heard of that author before... it does sound like rather a hack job...

Judy Krueger said...

This author is new to me. If I had read this book back in the day I might have found it amusing. Now, not so much.

CyberKitten said...

@ Mudpuddle: Yes, hack job just about sums it up.

@ Judy: I'd never heard of him either. This was one of the many books I picked up years ago from a guy in work who was clearing out his library. He gave me a bag of books and I gave him a large jar of coffee... Seemed like a good deal! I think I would've found it at least OK in my teens.