About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, April 13, 2020

A Fifth View from The Apocalypse.

Has it been six weeks already since I started these posts? I must be getting used to it…. Or not, really. I’m still having no issues (or at least minimal issues) coping with Social Isolation. To me that’s just a normal evening/weekend/holiday extended into the future. So six weeks hasn’t really fazed me – so far! After my sleep extending slightly after retirement its dropping back again to about 7-8 hours which is good. Ideal even. I’m not as physically active as I was with work so I’m watching my weight and will need to see about either eating less or burning more calories. I’ll think on that one.

I’m definitely reading more – finished 2 books last week and I’m a third of the way through my next one. That’ll slow down a bit now I’ve just downloaded a new game – Two Point Hospital – which is fun, funny and quite addictive so far. Anyway I’ve averaging 80 pages a day which will take me to 70-75 books this year if I can maintain that level (I’m not anticipating any issues).

I’m not having any issues with supplies which is nice. My local supermarket is literally 2 minutes away (I can see it from my bedroom window) so I’m leaving the house about 30-45 minutes before it closes (at 10pm) and catch them as they’re restocking the shelves. Not only do I generally get exactly what I’m after – including a 9 pack of toilet roll tonight - but the footfall is pretty low at that time so there’s a minimal of the Social Distancing dance going on. It’s good to see people taking it seriously but it can be a bit off-putting when people look at you as if you’re carrying a blood splattered machete if you get less than 10 feet away from them. I have had a few ironic shrugs of shoulders ‘what can you do’ looks which made both of us smile. Like everyone else we’re muddling through.

But I am certainly counting my blessings. So far both I, my friends and my family are all fit and healthy. From a personal/selfish point of view I definitely see myself as one of the lucky ones: I have no work worries as I’m retired now and even if I was still at work my company had already given us the tools – laptop and phone – to Work from Home. I have money in the bank, a company pension and have paid off my mortgage so don’t have any financial worries. Indeed, because of the lockdown, I’m actually spending less money than usual. So, yes, lucky.

Any problems I am anticipating are purely First World problems – like haircuts. At some point – if this lasts into the summer – I’m going to have to butcher my hair ‘style’, not that many people would even notice as I slink between the shops and back in the dead of night! I guess such things will just end us as another story to laugh about in the after-apocalypse party. If that’s as bad as it gets I think me and mine will have gotten off very lightly indeed.

So, I’m still here, still healthy and still (comparatively) sane. I hope that all is as well with my readership. It still has a way to go but there’s positive signs out there. Eventually they’ll have a vaccine and then we can get back to whatever is the new normal. I wonder if I’ll shake another person’s hand ever again. That’d be weird – not doing that and whilst I’m not a known hugger I’d definitely miss the odd one that does come my way. See you all safe and well on the other side… 

6 comments:

mudpuddle said...

hope so... i know about the hair thing. i was ready for a haircut when all this started; it's almost to my shoulders now... have to get mrs. M to cut it as soon as i can trust her with sharp objects...

Brian Joseph said...

It is good to hear that you are doing well.

I am also coping fine. Though I am working from home, I am working long hours, trying to cope with the mess that this has caused my company. Thus it has all gone by in a whirlwind.

Stay healthy.

Judy Krueger said...

Oh yes, the hair! Virtual hug!

Stephen said...

I was VERY lucky on the haircut front. I got one the last day barbershops were permitted to be open, and I was past the point where I needed one, so hopefully when I need one again, they'll have opened.

Have fun with Two Point Hospital! I'm often tempted by it, but unelss it's on sale...I'm not tempted TOO much. After playing a new-to-me game, 911 Operator, I did another playthrough of RDR2. :-D

CyberKitten said...

@ Mudpuddle: I've been looking at clippers & things but I don't know.... Something to ponder one I reckon.

@ Brian: I've been watching a lot of news coming out of the New York area. But it does seem (at last!) that things are at least *starting* to improve. I'm very impressed with the Gov. He certainly seems to be on the case. Glad to hear you're safe & well.

@ Judy: Thanks! If my hair is the only thing I'm concerned about than things are pretty much OK!

@ Stephen: I *was* going to get my haircut just before the first Zombies appeared but they shut down my hairdressers just at point I was going to make an appointment. TPH is *fun*. Still getting the hang of things but all 3 of my hospitals are making money so I must be doing something right. It was on offer on Steam @ 50% off so I bought it and the rest of the DLC for around £25 which wasn't bad. I definitely needed a new game & it's pretty addictive so far.

Stephen said...

I must have missed that particular sale! I only wishlist items I REALLY want. Well, summer sale will hit in a few months...it's not as if I don't have plenty of unplayed games. :p