About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Sunday, January 03, 2021

New Year…. New Labels…..

Yes, I’ve been playing with labels again over on the far right. Part of the reason I did this was in recognition of new reading ‘streams’ coming on line in the year(s) ahead. Other labels are simply in recognition that a sub-category has grown up enough to move out and set up its own place. So, without further ado..

 

Between – as in between the World Wars. With so much focus on both wars I’ve always wondered what exactly happened *between* them. Watching some YouTube History videos on the subject the answer is – a LOT. 1918-1939 were most certainly not years of peace, or political and technological upheaval. In many ways the Modern World we live in had its birth pangs between the wars.

Democracy – under assault or just fine & dandy? You decide (usually every 4-5 years!). The political concept has had a rocky path over the centuries but can it last much longer?

Napoleonic – after discussing the era with Stephen recently I decided to give the age (1803-1815) its own label to see if I can build my knowledge on more than Richard Sharpe novels.

Punk – No, not the music genre (there will be some of that coming but in the existing Music label) but rather Steampunk and Cyberpunk. Oh, apparently there’s something called Dieselpunk too…. Go figure!

T-shirt – Rather self-explanatory and my favourite type of apparel!  

Two more to come (probably):

Civil War – covering the American, English, Spanish and Russian presently but others as we go forward.

Sport – Yes, I know… A real shocker there. But this is me remember so nothing will be straight-forward… [grin]

5 comments:

Judy Krueger said...

My comment on this post may show up on your earlier post. My computer seems to have a mind of its own this morning after a short power outage.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

What is dieselpunk??!!

CyberKitten said...

@ Judy: Easily done...

@ Sarah: Dieselpunk is a retrofuturistic subgenre of science fiction similar to steampunk that combines the aesthetics of the diesel-based technology of the interwar period through to the 1950s with retro-futuristic technology and postmodern sensibilities.

So... Post-Steampunk but Pre-Cyberpunk.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

That's a lot pf punk.

CyberKitten said...

@ Sarah: Oh, you've seen nothing yet. Google 'Cyberpunk sub-genre' and you'll see that there's around 20+ 'Punk' genres! I NEVER knew... [lol]