About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, August 07, 2021

The Legends of Western Cinema Tag

I saw this over @ Marian’s Blog ‘Classics Considered’ and thought I’d respond here. Although (so far at least) I’ve only read a single Western novel [Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey] I’m a HUGE fan of the genre in the movies – thanks Dad! – and have enjoyed them from an early age. So, here we go!

Western movies or western TV shows?

Generally movies although I did grow up with the classic western series like ‘Bonanza’, ‘The Virginian’, ‘Wagon Train’ (mostly in re-runs probably), ‘Rawhide’ (ditto), ‘The Big Valley’, ‘The High Chaparral’, ‘Alias Smith and Jones’ and ‘Branded’.

Funny westerns or dramatic westerns?

Dramatic. I’m not a huge fan of comedy in any genre (I’m difficult to please on a regular basis) so I’m far more engaged in drama than humour.

Westerns that focus on loners or westerns that focus on families?

As a loner myself it’s good to have a central character to identify with whether it be ‘Shane’ or ‘The Man with No Name’ played so ably by Clint Eastwood.  

Male-centric westerns or female-centric westerns?

There’s honestly not that many female centric westerns so I’d have to go with male centric here.

1930s to 1960s westerns or 1970s to 2020s westerns?

Definitely both. I enjoy classic westerns (most seemingly with John Wayne in them) as well as fully modern westerns. I actually liked both versions of ‘The Magnificent Seven’ 1960/2016 for different reasons although the 1960 version is one of my all-time favourite films. I enjoy ‘High Noon’ but I also enjoy ‘3:10 to Yuma’ again for very different reasons.

Westerns that take place in America or westerns that take place internationally?

Well, as the Western is THE archetypical American genre I’d have to say America.

Family-friendly Westerns or edgier Westerns?

Edgy. Family friendly movies are OK from time to time for a bit of light relief but I prefer my entertainment to be more realistic, gritty and visceral.

Straightforward good guy or conflicted hero?

As there are no ‘straightforward good-guys’ I’d take a more realistic, more nuanced and more interesting conflicted hero every time – as long as the ‘conflicts’ aren’t too contrived and actually meld with the plot and character development (if any) in the movie.

Historically accurate Westerns or Westerns that aren’t afraid to take some creative liberties?

Historical accuracy is OK but you need to remember that these are movies and not documentaries. Something like ‘Pale Rider’ is likely to be highly inaccurate but it’s also highly entertaining. A later movie ‘Hell or High Water’ is another variation of the Western that works really well in a very modern setting. Going a little further out there you have things like the original 1973 ‘Westworld’ which very knowingly plays with the genre complete with Yul Brynner playing the archetypical ‘black hat’ gunslinger essentially the opposite of his role in ‘The Magnificent Seven’. Going further still we have ‘Outland’ starring Sean Connery in 1981 which is essentially High Noon on an asteroid being mined in the future. Going out on a limb a bit further and then cutting off the branch behind them in the 2011 ‘Cowboys & Aliens’ starring Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford where a New Mexican town in 1873 is attacked by aliens looking for gold. Despite the fact that such a mashup really shouldn’t work it actually turned into a highly entertaining movie.   

Bittersweet or happily-ever-after endings?

Again, as happily-ever-after endings only really make sense in fantasy I’d go for the more realistic bittersweet.

7 comments:

Stephen said...

I can't think of any female-dominated westerns, honestly. Dr. Quinn would count, I suppose, and Audrey Hepburn played a Kiowa woman in one western I've seen -- but even when someone strong like Katherine Hepburn played in a western, she was paired with someone like Wayne who was more than a match for her.

I'll have to have a look at "Outland" if it's like High Noon! Going to borrow this in a bit. :)

mudpuddle said...

no "Whiskey Galore"?

Marian H said...

Ditto Stephen - I'll have to track down Outland, that sounds fun! I've heard of Cowboys & Aliens, too. And of course, there's the Star Trek episode (or two?) that takes place in the Wild West. :D

CyberKitten said...

@ Stephen: There's always the 'new' series of 'Westworld' (certainly series 1 that almost exclusively takes place in a recreation of the 'old West' that has a good number of strong female characters. I think you'll like 'Outland' its a fairly decent movie on several levels and it does have Sean Connery in it..so... [grin]

@ Mudpuddle: I'll go right ahead and say: HUH? The only Whisky Galore I'm aware of is the 1949 British comedy..... [grin]

@ Marian: I think you'll enjoy both 'Outland' and 'Cowboys & Aliens'. Neither is particularly violent, except in the usual Hollywood way. Both I thought were lots of fun and a nice twist on the Western genre. ST:OS had the superb episode based around the Gunfight @ the OK Corral. I LOVED that one. Nothing else (except for some very faint bells ringing) comes immediately to mind.

mudpuddle said...

i mis-spoke: i was thinking of the western with Brian Keith involving a wagon train load of whiskey... for some reason it was my mom's favorite movie even tho she didn't drink...

CyberKitten said...

Ah, gotcha. I remember that one: The Hallelujah Trail, 1965.

Stephen said...

@Marian: TOS has Spectre of the Gun, TNG had..."A Fistful of Datas". I ---think--- that's it for Star Trek/cowboy crossovers. There are other episodes where places with a psuedo-frontier environment dominates, but that doesn't quite count.