About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, November 25, 2021


Just Finished Reading: Robot Uprisings edited by Daniel H Wilson and John Joseph Adams (FP: 2014) [472pp] 

It’s been a coming idea since the very beginnings of SF – our technology turning against us. It probably first occurred to our cave dwelling ancestors the first time a stone knife ‘turned’ in his or her hand and they cut themselves. Just think, they probably wondered, if that was a nuclear grenade I’d just dropped in the cockpit of my space cruiser!  

Most collections of short stories, as you might expect, are often hit and miss affairs. Afterall even the most generous of us can’t like the output of every author (even in a favourite genre) on every subject. This is however a pretty good collection with few poor shows. One of the poorest (yet still not terrible) was The Omnibot Incident by Ernest Cline where an ‘AI’ robot Christmas present impresses its naïve young recipient a little too much. But others (who more closely fit with the overall title of the work) were suitably disturbing if not actually creepy – which some definitely were! Complex God by Scott Sigler was a good example were nano-bots started building statues of their creator giving her an even bigger god-complex, Lullaby by Anna North was another good one where the teenage granddaughter of the vilified creator of the machines that challenged mankind in a recent war stops another attack in an intriguing way. One of my favourites was Epoch by Cory Doctorow where the world's first AI fights not to be turned off (to save money!) by playing on the fears and ambitions of its maintenance staff. Needless to say the AI is way smarter than the people who built it and is always 10 steps ahead of them. It’s always difficult to realistic portray something smarter than people (and still be understood by the readership and the author brings it off with style here). An interesting one was Of Dying Heroes and Deathless Deeds by Robin Wasserman where a house robot in a global uprising is suffering from PTSD and is cured by a human enabling it to go on killing it oppressors. Definitely a strange one was Spider the Artist by Nnedi Okorafor where a poor musician becomes friends with a maintenance robot just as it and its compatriots become self-aware. 

If you’re interested in AI, robots or cyberwarfare (at least in fiction!) this is definitely the book for you. Brimming with interesting ideas it’ll give you lots of food (and pauses) for thought about what’s going on right now in the world of robotics and AI research and where some of that might end up – and how such a thing might just be the last thing we invent before shuffling off this mortal coil in a rather spectacular own goal. Definitely recommended.   

7 comments:

mudpuddle said...

any by John Sladek? if not, you must find his book re Roderick! there's a collection of the complete Roderick tales in paperback out there some where... highly recommended!

James said...

Sounds like a great collection. I've loved stories like this ever since reading Clifford Simak's "How-to" about a do it yourself robot gone berserk.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I might have to check this one out. I finished watching a friend's Let's Play of Detroit: Become Human, which deals with the issue of androids and sentience. I didn't like the gameplay or I would have played it myself. It's a game that gives you many choices and they actually have consequences, which is nice for a change.

CyberKitten said...

@ Mudpuddle: Happy Thanksgiving! Nothing by Sladek I'm afraid. Most of the stories post-date 2010. I *do* have some SF from 'back in the 20th' stacked up in my bedroom but I want my average read to cross the 350pp barrier before I dig back into them. Presently it's refusing to go past 340pp. Hopefully by next Spring! [grin]

@ James: It's a good collection of robot related stories. I read a LOT of Simak back in my teens/20's and really enjoyed them. He was one of the authors that really expanded my mind... and a Happy Thanksgiving too!

@ Mike: Hello, and Happy Thanksgiving. I hope things are going well for you and yours. I've seen some footage of 'Becoming Human' which looked interesting. I do like when your actions have consequences further in game - as they should! I've only just acquired a PC that can play it but it really wasn't on my list at any point. Presently playing Borderlands 3 with 'the Guys'. Its fun but nowhere near as funny as the previous games.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I've played BL1 and 2, I own 3 but haven't played it yet. I'm terrible at shooter games and they always make me want to go play Fallout 3, NV, or 4, with the VATS auto targeting system.

I'm currently racing around Mexico in Forza Horizon 5.

CyberKitten said...

I really Liked BL1, LOVED BL2 and had mixed (though generally positive) feelings about the pre-sequel. BL3 is amazing to look at and fun to play but it's definitely missing the messed up but very funny humour from the other games.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

The humour is one of the best things about the series. That's too bad.