About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, April 30, 2022

Pre-Blog Classic SF – Part 2 

Before listing my non-SF pre-Blog Classic reads, I wanted to get my SF classics out of the way first. I’ve always seen SF as a particularly ‘special’ genre as it was my ‘gateway drug’ into literature. Although I did heavily, and indeed almost exclusively, read SF in my early days (approx 14 years old plus) I eventually branched out into non-fiction and other genres of fiction – sometimes actually prompted by my SF reading. Somewhat ironically, for example, I began reading Raymond Chandler novels after discovering William Gibson as he was described as the Chandler of SF. As I LOVED his Cyberpunk novels, I had to try out Chandler too – and loved his works also! Of course, I should have been reading noir fiction because I LOVED noir movies but, hey that’d be FAR too simple. Anyway, before we move on to classic Classics here’s my final SF Classic list. 

Earth Abides by George R Stewart 

The Left-Hand of Darkness by Ursula K LeGuin 

Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle 

The Midwich Cookoos by John Wyndham 

Make room, make room! By Harry Harrison 

Neuromancer by William Gibson 

Count Zero by William Gibson 

Burning Crome by William Gibson 

Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson 

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton 

The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester 

My Name is Legion by Roger Zelazny 

Lest Darkness Fall by L Sprague DeCamp 

Less than last time (I think) and no doubt I missed a few, but it’ll give you some idea of the kind of SF I was reading pre-Blog. The next list (classic Classics) will probably interest people a bit more. But that’s for next time. 

4 comments:

James said...

Great list of classic SF. I've read most of these, but Ursula K LeGuin, Alfred Bester, and L. Sprague DeCamp stand out as my favorites from your list. I would add The Voyage of the Space Beagle by A. E. Van Vogt as among my favorite reads from long ago and far away.

CyberKitten said...

I was a huge fan of Van Vogt. I haven't read *everything* by him but it's close! 'Space Beagle' was indeed a classic... I'm tempted from time to time to re-read some of the SF I enjoyed growing up.

VV said...

LOVED The Left Hand of Darkness! Read that in the summer of 1980, I believe.

CyberKitten said...

LeGuin is a fantastic author. The Dispossessed is one of my ALL time favourite reads. I think I've read it 3 times and its about due for another re-read!