About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, May 30, 2022


Just Finished Reading: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (FP: 1964) [180pp] 

Charlie knew he was loved very much by his parents and by both sets of grandparents living with them. Each day, both before he went to school and again when he came home, they made certain that he knew he was loved. But he couldn’t help feeling that a few less draughts, a bit more heat or a larger portion of food would be pretty good too. But at least his birthday was approaching and with it, just like every year, he would have a whole bar of Mr Wonka’s chocolate all to himself. If he offered any of it to his family, as he did every year, they would refuse him – it was HIS birthday after all! But this year there was an extra something to look forward to – the possibility of a GOLDEN ticket inside the bar. A ticket that would give Charlie access to Willie Wonka’s Chocolate Factory and a lifetimes supply of his very special chocolate. All he needed to be was lucky... VERY lucky. 

This will definitely surprise some of my readers! I mean, why on Earth am I reading children’s books? What might surprise people more is that I hardly read a thing as a child, which meant that all of the children’s classics passed me by – including this one. I’ve seen both movie versions (I actually preferred the 1971 Gene Wilder version) but never even thought about reading the book – until it dropped into my lap (I think it was free inside a box of breakfast cereal). Reading it so late, and at such an ‘advanced’ age, I still found it quite charming and quite funny in places. I did chuckle to myself throughout the rather brief experience. Growing up with the Disneyfication of everything I actually didn’t expect the Oompa Loompa songs in the book. I fully expected that these had been added for the movie – not true! I think the thing that most surprised me though was the absolute poverty of Charlie and his family. After his father lost his job – putting on the tops of tubes of toothpaste – the family were literally slowly starving to death! Talk about pathos and social commentary!! I doubt if I enjoyed it quite as much as a child in the 1960’s did (even if I WAS a child in the 60’s) but it was entertaining enough and would probably still entertain a young child today. There’s some solid moral teaching here sprinkled with enough silliness to make the kids chuckle along with the parental reader. Recommended and more children's classics to come. 

9 comments:

Helen said...

I read this and some of Roald Dahl's other books as a child. I'm glad you could still find things to enjoy as an adult. And yes, the Gene Wilder film version is definitely the best, in my opinion!

Hannah @ Among Stories said...

Roald Dahl is the best! His books were VERY popular when I was in elementary school. The most popular as I remember, and to this day my favorites, were The BFG and The Witches. I hope you enjoy as you read on!

CyberKitten said...

@ Helen: I did actually find it surprisingly fun. I'm not sure exactly why I thought the Wilder film was better. I think it was because, although just as crazy, I remember is as being kinder or nicer than the updated version - at least that's my imperfect memory of it.

@ Hannah: Not sure if I'll go out of my way to read more Dahl but I do have a few more children's classics coming up. The next one will probably be 'Mary Poppins'.

James said...

Thanks for sharing your adult reaction to this classic. I've not read the book, I was already a teenager when it was first published. My favorites from early (grade school) reading were Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass. They remain favorites that I have read and reread over the decades. But I encountered Dahl reading his darker stories for adults like "Lamb to the Slaughter" and others.

CyberKitten said...

'Alice' is definitely on my Classics TBR. I have an annotated version which I've been meaning to read for a while - plus several books on the author & his relationship with his muse, the *real* Alice. I'll *try* to get around to at least the novel this year - maybe!

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Love Love LOVE Roald Dahl. Matilda will always be my most favorite.

CyberKitten said...

I think this will be my one & only Dahl but more children's Classics to come!

Stephen said...

Strange that I missed this review originally! One thing that struck me as odd were the ages of Charlie's grandparents (90s) against his and his own parents' ages. Unless Charlie's dad was 50/60 and had Charlie with a younger woman very late in his career, they don't line up sensibly..

CyberKitten said...

Its certainly possible that Charlie's dad was (much?) older than his mother. Such things do happen.... [grin] Honestly it wasn't something that I picked up on. I'm glad I read it and should be scheduling in more children's Classics over the next few years. I'm SO SO late to this particular party!!