About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, November 26, 2022

Book2Screen – The Pre-Blog Files (Part 4)    

Apart from books themselves, I’ve long found both movies and TV shows as a prompt to know more. When I see an interesting person portrayed on the screen – fictional or real – or a place or situation (ditto) I all too often want to know more about it or them. If the small, or large screen, is portraying a real (often historical) situation it’d be off to the library or Amazon to see if there were any books on the subject. If fictional I’d want to read the novel (if such a thing existed – I was often annoyed that a screenplay wasn’t based on a previous novel or play). So it was that I picked up and read the following: 

The Godfather by Mario Puzo 

Carrie by Stephen King 

Harry’s Game by Gerald Seymour 

On the Beach by Nevil Shute 

Make Room, Make Room! By Harry Harrison 

First Blood by David Morrell 

Sphere by Michael Crichton 

The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M Cain 

Point Blank by Richard Stark 

The Abyss by Orson Scott Card 

Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney 

A Very British Coup by Chris Mullin 

Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis 

The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer by Jennifer Lynch 

Empire of the Sun by J G Ballard 

The Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis 

The Mosquito Coast by Paul Theroux 

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris 

Red Dwarf by Grant Naylor 

The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy 

Patriot Games by Tom Clancy 

A Sense of Guilt by Andrea Newman 

The Drowning Pool by Ross Macdonald 

A Bouquet of Barbed Wire by Andrea Newman 

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton 

House of Cards by Michael Dobbs 

Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow 

The Camomile Lawn by Mary Wesley 

Rising Sun by Michael Crichton 

Run Silent, Run Deep by Edward L Beach 

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice 

Congo by Michael Crichton 

Enigma by Robert Harris 

The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice 

The Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice 

Kiss the Girls by James Patterson 

Well, I wanted to finish this at Part 4, but that’s a MUCH longer list than I expected! A nice, varied mix, I think as my brain is normally firing in all directions to chase down wherever my curiosity takes it.  

4 comments:

VV said...

Have you ever thought of going on the Jeopardy game show? Well read people usually do well.

CyberKitten said...

'University Challenge' was one of my fave shows growing up. We watched it as a family and I often came up with the most correct answers. Likewise 'Who Wants to Become a Millionaire' and 'Mastermind'. But I'm confident that I'd totally freeze as a contestant....

Oh, and my friends *hated* playing 'Trivial Pursuits' against me. They'd only play if I had an automatic handicap... [lol]

James said...

Over the years I've gone both ways, sometimes reading the book and later watching the film version; however, more rarely, watching the film version and only after that
reading the book. I usually find the book to be better than the film with rare exceptions. One director who stands out in his ability to successfully bring a book to the screen is John Huston with such film versions of great books like The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Wise Blood, Under the Volcano, and The Roots of Heaven.

CyberKitten said...

Definitely agree that the book is almost always better than the movie version. It's really hard to cram a decent novel into 90 minutes or even 2 hours of screen time. The example of the opposite that jumps out at me is 'Ready Player One'. Whilst the film is hardly stellar for a host of reasons, I thought that the book was a hot mess and was deeply disappointed by it. Although I did really enjoy the film on the first few showings I've actually come to the conclusion that the adaptation, although very different in many ways, is poor at best.