About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, March 18, 2023

(The Lack of) Women Authors 

Prompted by a recent post over at Stephen’s place (Reading Freely) I began wondering just how many female authors I’ve been reading over the last 10 years. I had a pretty good idea that it’d be fairly low – I'd estimate about 20-25% of the total – but surprised myself that even the few authors I did read tended to only have a single book reviewed here. But, so as not to have a (actually not that) long list of such ‘one-offs’ I thought I’d only list authors that have managed to snag my interest more than once. Some of the usual/expected suspects are there but one – Alison Weir – is notable by her absence. I only have a single recorded read of hers in the last 10 years! Amazing! Anyway, this is the list from 4th March 2013: 

Philippa Gregory      5
Suzanne Collins     3
Juliet Nicolson     2
Agatha Christie     6
Veronica Roth      3
Amanda Hemingway      3
Mary Beard      2
Alice Roberts      2
Helen Rappaport      2

So, not exactly an impressive list after TEN years! Inevitably, going through my reviews it become very clear that not only have I read many more male authors, but I’ve also tended to read many more books by those authors too. I’ll post something on that in the next few weeks. I don’t think I’ll ever achieve a 50/50 split between male/female authors for a host of reasons, but I’ll see if I can reduce the distance between them a little going forward. It’ll be interesting (for me anyway!) to see where I stand in a year's time.    

5 comments:

Stephen said...

Gregory is one of those authors who I'm surprised I haven't gotten into yet, considering the topics and the sheer amount of books she's written.

Marianne said...

Even though in some years I read more female authors than male ones, last year my split was 57/31. From your list, I only read Agatha Christie and Suzanne Collins, both with my book club, otherwise I might not even have read those. Maybe you can find a few good female authors on my list.

CyberKitten said...

@ Stephen: PG is OK (I know Sarah doesn't like her very much!) if a little 'free' with her historical accuracy/speculation. But its fiction so.... She's an easy entry into Plantagenet England which should get people interested in the real thing. I do think Weir is better though - for a number of reasons.

@ Marianne: Thanks. I'll check out your list. I have a few new (to me) female authors coming up soon.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

SHE IS TERRIBLE!!! Don't you dare say she is okay, lol.

CyberKitten said...

LOL - Oh, NO! I've *triggered* Sarah.... [rotflmao]