About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, September 11, 2023


Just Finished Reading: Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (FP: 1999) [296pp] 

Barcelona, 1980. Even holding it in his hand 15-year-old Oscar Drai could hardly believe that he had stolen the heavy gold watch. Slowly, over the next few days, the guilt overwhelmed the fear and he decided to take it back, no matter the consequences. Returning to the grand but dilapidated house he was surprised to see a girl of around his own age waiting for him. Her name, she said, was Marina and she was the daughter of the old man who’s watch Oscar had taken. Oscar thought that this was the bravest thing he had ever done but had no idea that this was only the start of an adventure that would echo down the years ahead of him. Over the following weeks Marina and Oscar would explore the city together exchanging discoveries and hidden curiosities. One such was the strange, shrouded woman who, once a month, left a single red rose on an abandoned grave with an odd butterfly motif. It seemed almost natural that they should follow her to uncover the secret behind her strange behaviour. What they couldn’t possibly know was where such curiosity would lead – to the dark heart of a family tragedy, to the hidden darkest corners of the city few have seen and to the horrors of death avoided at any cost. Both Oscar and Marina are about to learn the true meaning of bravery and the cost of seeking answers to questions that are best forgotten. 

After really enjoying, and being more than a little surprised by, my previous read ‘The Watcher in the Shadows’ I was really looking forward to reading this – and I was far from disappointed. As much as I liked ‘Shadow’ I enjoyed this novel even more. As a keen lover of characterisation, I was most impressed by everyone portrayed here and especially the representation of the two main protagonists Marina and Oscar. Oscar in particular was a very believable ‘teen’ full of self-doubt, angst and the great capacity for both heroism and heartbreaking emotion. I really liked Oscar. Marina was a great ‘love interest’ - mysterious, beautiful, almost ethereal and enticingly tragic in her own right. I could see why Oscar fell so hard for her. The other, hardly secondary, characters were equally brilliantly drawn with believable backstories and motivations. All were (often very) flawed in one way or another, but all were human in that sense and even the ‘baddie’ elicited a degree of sympathy for his actions. The city of Barcelona was, in a real way, a character in itself although a rather insubstantial ‘magical-realist’ one at times. It was almost as if a more Fantastic city had been overlayed onto the real bricks and mortar which only needed a sideways glance and a few softly spoken words to reveal a hidden doorway to another world a short step away from this one. 

Surprisingly for an apparently YA novel this was DARK. This was truly a GOTHIC novel, complete with ‘mad’ scientists, monsters, trips to the sewers, death and dismemberment, creepy smells and noises in the night and a whole host of things to make you shiver as you turn the page. As with my last Zafon read, this was a highlight of the year for me. It’s not for a faint of heart though! There’s quite a bit that would creep out anyone so keep that in mind if you’re easily frightened or grossed out by things. It does get HEAVY from time to time! Oh, and one other thing... If you get as emotionally involved with characters the way I do, I have to recommend that you keep a box of tissues ready as you approach the final chapters. This IS a Gothic tragedy after all... Very highly recommended. 

Translated from the Spanish by Lucia Graves   

[Labels Added: 0, Labels Total: 69]

4 comments:

Marianne said...


Thanks for leaving the link on my TTT. I did indeed miss this brilliant review. As you know, Carlos Ruiz Zafón is one of my favourite authors and I might have to rearead all of his books again as we know there won't be any more.
Great that you loved Marina so much. I agree, this is his darkest story but all his other books are superb, as well. And it's not even a genre I usually like. Which shows what a fantastic author he is.

CyberKitten said...

Thanks Marianne, I appreciate your comments... Zafon is fast becoming one of my favourite authors too. I'm VERY impressed by his writing style and especially his character creations. I'm really looking forward to reading more from him. I've read some very good European authors so far and expect to enlarge my author range much further in the future.

Although they're all in translation - as my foreign language skills are almost non-existent - its still nice to get away from Anglo-American writing from time to time.

Marianne said...

Well, even if you speak a few languages, there are still lots that you don't know, so we all read books in translation. And that's fine because it still gives us a beter outlook to this world.
I am looking forward to reading your next reviews. Have you read the Cemetary of Forgotten Books series already?

CyberKitten said...

I have my first Georges Simenon (the first of the Inspector Maigret series) coming up soon and a Japanese novel - featuring a cat (of course) later in the year.

I've only read 'Marina' and 'The Watcher in the Shadows' by Zafon, so far. I do have a few of his Forgotten books series scattered about so hope to start that next year.