About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, October 12, 2023


Just Finished re-Reading: The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (FP: 1890) [140pp] 

Sherlock Holmes was bored, very bored, dangerously bored and his friend John Watson was worried for him. He needed something to distract him, to intrigue him, something for his mind to work on, a mystery. Fortunately, Miss Morstan has just that. Every year, on her birthday, a parcel arrives with a pearl in it of superb quality. Now something else has arrived, a message asking for a meeting. Both worried and intrigued she has sort out Mr Holmes for his aid. Holmes can see that this is no ordinary case, indeed it fizzes with mystery and not a little tragedy. Her father had returned from India some time previously but had failed to meet her as agreed. She had little to remember him by except for a handful of personal belongings and a scrap of parchment with the ‘Sign of the Four’. Where that would lead, what story it would uncover and how it would all affect Miss Morstan both Holmes and Watson are determined to find out – and what a fantastic tale of devilish treachery and murder is waiting for them. The game is afoot! 

Again, after a gap of more than 40 years, this was almost like reading this classic for the first time. Oddly, as with the previous outing, I did remember a few of the highlights so they must have struck me at the time. Overall, the story is a relatively simple one involving India, ‘lost’ treasure and a revenge plot. Surprisingly there is little actual mystery uncovered here. Holmes, inevitably, tracks down the miscreants (rather well I thought!) and they eventually regale him with an exotic tale. Most of the backstory, again much like the first outing with the side plot in Utah, is told by the antagonist post-capture. This time, rather than ‘out West’, the story revolves around an incident during the Indian Mutiny (something which all of his readers at the time would’ve been VERY familiar). It’s interesting that the author felt compelled to add this exotic element (again) to drive the story forward. It did feel a bit derivative and a bit stereotypically ‘Victorian’, but that was the style of the time. 

I found it very interesting that the story started with Holmes very clearly injecting cocaine and there was even mention of multiple track-marks on his arm! I couldn’t help but wonder what the readership felt about this. Was intravenous drug use normal, acceptable, common amongst a certain class of person? Watson clearly worried about Holmes using the drug like this – a drug he presumably simply picked up from the Chemist/Pharmacy rather than having it prescribed by his doctor? I was also somewhat surprised by the romance element (very low key but there) and had obviously completely forgotten about it (or had my teenage mind simply blanked it out?). What was even more interesting was how worried Watson was that Miss Morstan might become rich because of their investigation and, therefore, be forever out of his reach – essentially because she would be expected to marry someone of ‘quality’ and bring her fortune with her. When discussing the proposed relationship, Holmes said something with raised an eyebrow: that no woman should be trusted – even the best of them. I presumed this meant that Holmes had been dealt with VERY badly at some point and had been holding a grudge against all women ever since. I also wondered if this reflected something that had happened to Conan Doyle himself (not knowing much about the man). 

A few more comments: Interesting to see the ‘Baker Street Irregulars’ being of service again. Interesting also that Holmes used his trademark disguise ability that I remember Basil Rathbone regularly over-using in the movie versions. Another thing that piqued my interest was that both Holmes and Watson carried pistols (Watson’s was his service weapon from Afghanistan). My knowledge of late 19th century English gun law is scant, but I presume it was a LOT easier to get a weapon back then than it is now – especially for both gentlemen and gentlewomen. I’m guessing that it was just a case of going into a gun shop, picking a suitable weapon and paying for it. I’m also guessing that such guns would be prohibitively expensive to the working-class criminal which was one reason why they tended not to use them. Plus, of course, they’d hang if they killed anyone which was probably somewhat of a deterrent. It did make me laugh (rather ironically) that no one thought it was in any way ethically or morally dubious that anyone, including Miss Morstan should profit from the twice, or thrice over theft of Indian property. There was no talk of returning it (if possible) to its rightful owners or reporting it to the appropriate authorities. The only issue discussed at all was how the sudden wealth would affect Watsons love options. Oh, and lastly, I did like the fast steam-launch chase on the Thames. VERY dramatic and cinematic – especially with the whole blow-dart/gun shoot out!! Not my favourite Holmes outing (that’ll be next year) but worthy of its Classic status, nevertheless. 

[Labels Added: 0, Labels Total: 70] 

8 comments:

Helen said...

I can only vaguely remember this book, but I'm sure I enjoyed it! Obviously I need to do some re-reading. The cocaine thing is interesting as I've read a lot of books written or set in this period and haven't come across it being used very often, if at all - more likely opium or laudanum.

Stephen said...

I don't think I've read this one. Seems memorable!

Marian H said...

Just posted my review and have now read yours!

Ah yes... Watson had a bit of a one-track mind in this novel. Just a bit. XD The romance strikes me as quite sudden and odd now that I read it these years later. A bit more "magazine-ish" than some of the other plot points.

Like you, I wonder how Victorians would have viewed the cocaine. My assumption is the average genteel reader would react with horror, and Watson's words would seem to confirm this. It would be interesting read a whole book on that alone!

Good question about Holmes and women. When I was a teenager and very into the "Holmesian" fandom, there was a bit of a theory that maybe he didn't have a good relationship with his mother. I never liked that theory myself - a bit too grim and Freudian? - but it is possible. I also wouldn't hold it past Holmes to say that just to rile Watson up. ;)

One thing that jumped out to me (and which I didn't mention in my review) is this novel takes place after Watson has been living with Holmes several years. I wonder why Doyle added that gap of time.

So, next up... the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes in December? :)

CyberKitten said...

@ Helen: Whenever I think of drugs and Victorian England (which isn't all that often to be honest - unlike the Roman Empire) I think of Opium & Laudanum too. I know Opium addiction was a problem around the time of the wars with China over the drug and Laudanum was available just about everywhere & used for everything! Cocaine though.... I did come across this interesting article that put things in perspective:

https://wellcomecollection.org/articles/XN6XsxAAAFk1pmQ7

I'll be buddy-reading the next Holmes book 'Adventures of..' with Marian H during the first week in December with the rest following next year. Looking forward to them.

@ Stephen: I think Conan Doyle was still finding his way towards what we think of as Sherlock Holmes stories. 'Four' was on more solid ground than 'Scarlet' which is understandable. I think you can actually see a steady improvement in quality and confidence - although I do think that his short stories are generally better than his novels, no doubt because of restrictions in length made him focus more of the story rather than going off on tangents!

CyberKitten said...

@ Marian: The Watson love story did make me laugh. He was one smitten kitten! Understandable though - he was approaching middle-age and probably feeling rather lonely. Plus he was probably at the point where his life was settled enough to be looking forward to future plans.

Watson seemed to be more concerned with the physical consequences of the drug rather than the addictive aspects - he was worried about Holme's heart and circulatory system more than anything else. This probably reflected the doctor's fictional persona and, probably, the authors too - being a medical man himself.

I don't think that Holmes had particular 'mother issues'. He certainly had enough *other* issues, but probably not regarding his mother! It sounded to me, from that one quip, that he'd had a bad break of a presumably intense relationship - which he never got over. Not knowing much about Conan Doyle I'd hesitate to say that it reflected something that had happened to him or someone he knew.

The time difference might be something as simple as the fact that there was a 3 year gap in-between 'Scarlet' and 'Four'. Maybe he just incorporated that actual gap into his fictional world - consciously or not?

Yup, definitely up for 'Adventures' first week in December. It'll be quite a different experience - 12 short stories instead of 1 short novel.

Marian H said...

Re: bad breakups... I'm reminded of TE Lawrence who proposed to his first love Janet Laurie, who turned him down and became attached to his brother (!). Some awkward and sad situation of that kind may have befallen Sherlock. :/

I'm excited for the Adventures! The short stories are my favorite. :)

Marian H said...

P.S. I think you're right about the real-world time gap. I guess at that point there had been no short stories, so it would have seemed plausible enough that Watson hadn't written about any of the things that happened. However, I went back and consulted a (roughly) chronological order of the series and it seems a number of short stories would technically fall into that time frame, though not mentioned by him. I kind of enjoy the haphazard timeline of the series, it makes it feel more real somehow...

CyberKitten said...

I can't remember if we learn very much about Sherlock's earlier life/romantic encounters - or at least enough so we can put forward a decent hypothesis together to explain his apparent disdain for/mistrust of women? It'll be fun trying to work him out. My guess is broken heart hidden behind a passion for logic, reason and the solving of intractable mystery.