About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, March 30, 2024


Happy Birthday: Vincent Willem van Gogh (30 March 1853 – 29 July 1890) was a Dutch Post-Impressionist painter who is among the most famous and influential figures in the history of Western art. In just over a decade, he created approximately 2100 artworks, including around 860 oil paintings, most of them in the last two years of his life. His oeuvre includes landscapes, still life's, portraits, and self-portraits, most of which are characterized by bold colours and dramatic brushwork that contributed to the rise of expressionism in modern art. Van Gogh's work was beginning to gain critical attention before he died at age 37, by what was suspected at the time to be a suicide. During his lifetime, only one of Van Gogh's paintings, The Red Vineyard, was sold.

4 comments:

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

I saw someone comment recently that they felt stupid that they thought van Gogh lived at the same time as da Vinci *facepalm*

CyberKitten said...

History more than 100 years or so ago tends to get compressed. Even though I was born only 15 years after WW2 ended that period feels as 'historical' as the Roman Empire - which I hardly ever think about.....

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

That's true. It's weird to think about it in those terms, because my mom was also born 15 years after WWII ended. I have only thought of her life in terms of hthe 60s and beyond.

I also do not think about the Roman Empire daily...I especially do not think of Roman Britain on daily basis.

CyberKitten said...

I have a few books on Roman Britain coming up later in the year you might like... [grin] Unless you've already *read* them, of course!