About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Wednesday, July 15, 2026


Erm......

9 comments:

Stephen said...

I honestly think the ability to read an analog clock is gone in a lot of younger milennials and zoomers.

CyberKitten said...

True. At work we used the 24 hour clock, so 9pm would be 21:00. I grew up analog, but have been trained digitally - but that's true for a lot of things!

Funnily, I'm just about to finish a memoir of WW1 where the author uses analog time. These days the military use 24 hour time. I wonder if that came post-1918 or if he was aiming the text at non-military readers so used a civilian notation?

Stephen said...

When was it written? I did some googling and evidently WW1 was still 'transitional' whereas by WW2 the 24 hour clock was the norm in military culture.

Stephen said...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-hour_clock

History section. British army began switching to 24 hour clock in 1915.

CyberKitten said...

1937.

CyberKitten said...

Interesting. The memoir is about the German 'breakthrough' in 1918.... Maybe he *was* writing it largely for the civilian reader... [muses]

Marianne said...

Wow, that's even worse than not knowing that 9 p.m. is 21.00 hrs. ;)

CyberKitten said...

It *could* just be a youth thing - maybe. Very few younger people (especially) seem to wear watches these days so get their time from their phones which are usually (if not always) set to the 24 hour clock. When I see 21:00 my brain automatically converts it to 9pm...

Marianne said...

It's the other way around for me. If you tell most continentals to meet at 9 they will understand in the morning.