"Let me have men about me that are errant knaves. The wicked who have something on their conscience are obliging, quick to hear threats because they know how it’s done, and for booty you can offer them things because they will take them. Because they have no hesitations. You can hang them if they get out of step. Let me have men about me that are utter villains—provided that I have the power of absolute power over life and death. The sole and single leader, whom no one can interfere with. What do you know of the possibilities and evil! Why do you write books and make philosophy when you only know about virtue and how to acquire it, whereas the world is fundamentally moved by something quite different?" - Hermann Goering
Possibly the darkest thing I've read this year. O_O
I know a *little* bit about him. I've seen him described as vain, stupid, and a hundred other things... Russel Crowe (in the Nuremberg movie) makes him out to be quite bright, someone who understands *exactly* what they were doing and who never saw himself as 'evil' - but again, who does?
They probably think they're right and are doing good. I imagine that few people, especially those in positions of real power, think of themselves as 'evil' or that they are, in fact, doing 'dark things'.
4 comments:
A quote you may appreciate, from "1932":
"Let me have men about me that are errant knaves. The wicked who have something on their conscience are obliging, quick to hear threats because they know how it’s done, and for booty you can offer them things because they will take them. Because they have no hesitations. You can hang them if they get out of step. Let me have men about me that are utter villains—provided that I have the power of absolute power over life and death. The sole and single leader, whom no one can interfere with. What do you know of the possibilities and evil! Why do you write books and make philosophy when you only know about virtue and how to acquire it, whereas the world is fundamentally moved by something quite different?" - Hermann Goering
Possibly the darkest thing I've read this year. O_O
I know a *little* bit about him. I've seen him described as vain, stupid, and a hundred other things... Russel Crowe (in the Nuremberg movie) makes him out to be quite bright, someone who understands *exactly* what they were doing and who never saw himself as 'evil' - but again, who does?
I imagine there are a few people who think "We will do dark things for good reasons" without ever thinking they'll be stained by the dark.
They probably think they're right and are doing good. I imagine that few people, especially those in positions of real power, think of themselves as 'evil' or that they are, in fact, doing 'dark things'.
Post a Comment