About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Friday, November 09, 2007

Just Finished Reading: What is Good? – The Search for the Best Way to Live by A C Grayling

Now this was more like it. After my somewhat critical review of Life, Sex and Ideas – The Good Life Without God this particular volume by Professor Grayling fully lived up to my expectations. Told in a linear fashion the author outlined the various developments in thinking produced by what he called the three Enlightenments in Western history. These were the Classical Period, The Renaissance and what we more familiarly call The Enlightenment of the 18th Century. The focus of all of these sections – with a discussion of the Christian view sandwiched in between - is the question of how we can live a Good Life. Grayling outlines the views produced by thinkers in each of these periods and characterisers the Second and Third Enlightenments in particular as attempts to break away from the strictures of centuries of Religious thinking. As we enter the Modern Period the author discuses the crisis in Ethical thought that arose particularly after The Great War which we still addressing. Ending on a hopeful note Grayling points to the ever advancing front of scientific endeavour and, my personal favourite at the moment, the renewed interest in Virtue Ethics which I too feel holds great promise.

Told from a Secular Humanist point of view this was an easy and highly informative book to read. I already knew some of the highlights of Graylings discussion but he managed to turn me on to several authors I had up to this point gave little thought to including the Roman philosopher/politician Seneca. This book also confirmed in me, if such confirmation was necessary, that I am a natural born Stoic. It was a good feeling to have that finally settled. Well argued, well written and thoughtful I can heartily recommend this book to anyone who has ever pondered the question “How Should I live my Life?” Just don’t expect a list of Rules or Do’s and Don’ts. But do expect a good many hints and tips to get you on the road to your own personal Enlightenment.

4 comments:

AgnosticWriter said...

Hey CK,

Thanks for mentioning this book; I'll check it out. I've read another of Grayling's books, "Meditations for the Humanist," and I particularly liked his sober and balanced discussion of love (and the several different words, and concepts, the Greeks had for different kinds of love.)

CyberKitten said...

Hey Agnostic...

Hope you enjoy it. Grayling is a very good author who makes philosopy a pleasure to read.

Unknown said...

On my wishlist. You know I'm such a fan ;-)

CyberKitten said...

rca said: On my wishlist. You know I'm such a fan ;-)

I'm pretty sure you'll like it [grin].