About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, October 18, 2010

My Favourite Movies: Alien Vs Predator


I’m sure that when this idea was presented to 20th Century Fox they saw huge $ signs. I mean it would be the popular Alien franchise meets the equally popular Predator franchise. It would be, at least it would seem, to be a sure fire hit. Apparently not it seems. Not only did the critics pan it – as did some of the fans – but I believe that it didn’t make a whole lot of money (which makes me wonder why they made another one).
Anyway, this movie started with the discovery of an ancient pyramid hidden under the ice for millennia. Every hundred years or so it is activated with the release of eggs from a captive Alien Queen with the resultant creatures hunted for sport – and kudos – by the galaxies foremost Predator. Thrown into the mix this time is an expedition of scientists and mercenaries intent on finding out the pyramids secrets. Forced to side with the Predator for her own survival the expedition lead – played by the beautiful Sanaa Lathan – helps the last remaining Predator to stop the Aliens breaking free and is rewarded with the mark of a warrior.

Although hardly great cinema I find this to be a highly entertaining and enjoyable fairly mindless adventure movie. Inevitably I’m in the producers target audience as, not only am I a SF geek; I’m a huge fan of both franchises. I actually think that this film does not deserve much of the criticism that has been levelled at it. The creatures are well done and the Predators in particular are shown as basically honourable if, in this movie at least, a bit too vulnerable to Alien attack. The fight scenes are very well choreographed and exciting enough. The ancient pyramid is interesting, if rather far fetched, and has some nice touches. The supporting cast were adequate enough even if they were basically alien fodder. All in all it was more than adequate. The only problem I really had was the last few minutes of the film where the slain Predator was taken aboard their ship which then left at high speed. Knowing what they do about the aliens personally I would have scanned him before leaving him in state….. But that would have put the kibosh on the sequel I guess…… If you are a fan of either franchise and have been put off seeing this film because of the bad publicity, don’t be. It’s well worth 96 minutes of your time. Don’t expect to be mentally challenged but do expect to be entertained.

2 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I rented this a few years ago expecting to be mildly entertained, but ended up really liking it! Hated the sequel though.

CyberKitten said...

I've only seen the sequel once (so far) but remember generally liking it - though some parts did make me feel a bit sick...