About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, October 25, 2021


Just Finished Reading: The Fall of The Towers by Samuel R Delany (FP: 1965) [416pp]

500 years after the Great Fire fell from the skies and destroyed the world the last human city – Toron – was beginning to fail. Hemmed in by a still dangerously polluted ocean and prevented from expanding into the radioactive wastes inland they could only build up. But after centuries of restrictive growth there is nowhere left to go. As the city’s economy grinds inexorably to a halt the malcontents in the lower city riot. With civil unrest on the rise there is only one hope – War! As the army gathers to attack the Barrier between the City and the Wastes a recently sentient AI dedicates itself to stop them. Meanwhile, in deep space, a malevolent evil presence, devoid of a physical body, approaches Earth looking for a body to inhabit and new worlds to conquer. Time is running out for humanity and the last city that holds them.

This is trilogy of shorter novels in a single binding: Captives of the Flame (aka Out of the Dead City) [1963], The Towers of Toron [1964] and The City of a Thousand Suns [1965]. I’m not actually sure if I’ve ever read (or more accurately completed) a Delany novel before. I had a ‘go’ at ‘Dhalgren’ in my teens but it didn’t stick. I think I gave up on that pretty quickly. This I read because of the reference to a “berserk computer” prompted me to add it to my Man Vs Machine ‘series’ I’m working my way through presently. Unfortunately said AI didn’t really appear in the book(s) very much or have great an impact when it did. Despite the fact that I completed this I can’t say that I enjoyed it overly much. The stories haven’t dated very well and although they had some interesting plot lines and reasonable characterisation I lost interest in the story about half way through. The original idea was a good one I thought but the author managed to add in a series of (what I considered to be) irrelevant sub-plots – like the non-corporeal alien – that didn’t really move the story on that much as well as a ‘virtual’ war that quickly descended into farce. I did think that this might just be a comment on the Vietnam conflict but on second thought considered the publication date(s) to be a bit early for that sort of thing. The idea of the (potentially at least) last humans refusing to die off after surviving a nuclear war for so long could have been – indeed should have been – a great read of humanity triumphing over crushing adversity. Unfortunately this novel/novels was nothing of the sort. Definitely a missed opportunity there. Not recommended.     

3 comments:

Stephen said...

Cool cover, though!

BTW, I am hearing good things about the Dune movie.

mudpuddle said...

i liked Delany's earlier work, "The Einstein Intersection" for instance, but i had the same experience with "Dhalgren"... i did read what i recall was the "Two Towers" trilogy and thought it was okay. don't what happened to him after that, tho...

CyberKitten said...

@ Stephen: I think the cover art is the best thing about it! [grin] As always I like to show the actual cover of the version I read. Not always possible but I managed it in this case.

We saw 'Dune' on Friday - in an actual movie theater!! My first time for 18 months but it was a film you HAVE to see that way. I was hoping to be totally blown away and.... wasn't as much as I expected to be, but that's probably because I know the story so well. Saying THAT, it was VERY well filmed, Denis obviously had a great grasp of the original material (lots of little book related references to spot), the cast were pretty much on point and the tech side of things was excellent. I *SO* want a 'thopter in my life! I think I'll probably enjoy it more after a few more viewings. REALLY hope they make Part II. I expect they will seeing some of the critics comments and how much money its looking to make.

@ Mudpuddle: Oh, I forgot 'Einstein'. I've almost definitely read that one! Better SF to come I think. I've been watching a few 'Best SF' videos on YouTube which made me want to read 'old' SF again but that'll only be once my page average goes up a bit more. The older SF novels are really quite tiny so....... But there are quite a lot I haven't read yet.